INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroBerry 2.0.3 location

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Last night my goals were many. I have a stable RPI4B. I have three CCD. The PoleMaster is fixed focus. The QHYCCD QHY5LII and ZWO 120MM-M are in OTA assemblies. I have in this mix a UBLOX-7 GPS to give location.

Last night I had access to multiple planetary targets. Saturn and Jupiter are east to west and in the south. Within KSTARS, I noticed two big items. The PoleMaster was on Polaris. EQMOD mount was way east, Cappella. Sync mount to Polaris and reset Park. Now the big test.

GoTo Saturn. KSTARS points to the scope to Saturn. The Scope is pointing to the ground. I then take my Joystick and ParK the Scope. Using the Joystick, I take the scope to Saturn. Then I compare KSTARS to the Scope and KSTARS is below its horizon, due north.

This means KSTARS is in a different location. My GPS says I am -84 and 34. KSTARS thinks it in Central Europe.

I have a custom City defined in Geolocation within KSTARS. Using Geolocation, stuff changes but GOTO is way below target. It seems KSTARS has a mind of its own.

I have my location defined in the OS. My longitude and latitude define the location. KSTARS doesn’t use this when GPS of the Scope is enabled.

Having the scope point to anywhere but the target is less than stellar. What other options are within KSTARS and INDI to honor the GPS location?
3 years 5 months ago #61235

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic AstroBerry 2.0.3 location

Have you disabled the virtualgps service in astroberry?

#Check status:
systemctl status virtualgps

#Stop Service:
systemctl stop virtualgps

#Disable Service:
systemctl disable virtualgps

Virtualgps is for people without a GPS, if you have a gps and are running gpsd, then you need to disable virtualgps.
3 years 5 months ago #61241

Hello,

Yes. Thank you for the service note. I disabled VirtualGPS when I moved to AstroBerry 2.0.1.

I also added an RTC device. It has yet to give any benefit that I can see. KSTARS seems to ignore anything I add. How do I know? KSTARS tells me and influences the OS. The date and time was set to a point in the past. Today’s date was not there. Under root, I used: date -s UTC date and time. This corrected KSTARS by fixing system time.

I would be happy if KSTARS would be dependent on what I tell it. A configuration page of GPS data should allow calculations to say TZ= -4. I know where I am at the present.;)
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 5 months ago #61249

Hello,

I had AstroBerry up to test my CCD devices. When KSTARS starts, it is in Central Europe. I can select my custom city and all is localized. My RPI is localized. Now to get KSTARS localized.
3 years 5 months ago #61296

I investigated all localization options within KSTARS. The only setting to set location is the KSTARS Setup Wizard. With there, I get to adding additional databases. Apparently, there is a bug. Several repositories never load fully and timeout. I never get the Next button to activate. At least one or all star catalogs trigger the NEXT button. As such, the location is never established. Nothing in KSTARS provides localization options as permanent. Looks like Warsaw, Poland is the default.
3 years 5 months ago #61396

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds