INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI178 Camera Performance on Rasperry PI 4

• Thank you received: 17
Hello Paul!

The library will be prepared so as to it could be easily replaced. As described in README.md.
Replacement is not an efficient solution because the interface of the original library is prepared to copy data.
However, if you can modify the code I have provided function to get frames without copying.

In short, you will be able to swap the library - it will work better than the original library.
Indi Library (I'll add some fixes) will use the additional features implemented in libAsiCamera2Boost - it will work even better.

I am thinking about adding the possibility to configure the library from the configuration file. This makes it easy to adjust the parameters in the case of a simple replacement.
I bought my first telescope and I'm more in code than under the sky ;)
When I find out what programs you are using, I will try to suggest improvements to this programs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 4 months ago #64308

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Thanks Pawel.

Unfortunately there is no way I can modify the FireCapture code (not open source, I can ask the author if he would be willing ....)
Further testing with my ASI178 gets me more and more frustated. (keeps me from spending more money on a new bigger cooled camera if I am not sure it is going to work).
On the RPI4 connected via USB3, wifi disabled (avoid interference) Gbit network cable connected.
Start Indi and start a framing session, 10 second exposures
From time to time (fairly frequent) there is status 3 (instead of 2) in AsiGetExpStatus (so exposure is retried. No a problem on 5 second exposures, but really a pain if it happens on 300 second exposures)

Then I tested on my AMD Ryzen.
Here I coud not see any retries
But with videocapture as soon as either highspeed or 16 bit is enabled it stats to spit out error 11.
(same for Indi streaming as for FireCapture)
If on the same PC I boot W10 no problems with video.

Is it the camera hardware? I doubt, looks more like the SDK. I wonder if this onlt the 187 or how do others run cams with even more megapixels on an RPI.

Paul
3 years 4 months ago #64326

Hi Paul,

when you write about tests, you mean the original, unmodified ASI library? right?
If I finish some minor fixes on high-frame speed recording, I'll move on to fixing long exposure.
Apart from the hiccups when starting high-speed recording, it seems to me that the situation in my library is under control.

I am also planning to buy a bigger camera from ASI and I think I will get the situation under control as well.
What kind of camera would you buy? Maybe I'll buy the same one.

I put the 8/16-bit version on branch master, which works fine for me. I added the ability to set the size of buffers using the function and using the configuration file. Everything well described in the README and header file.
My next step is to fix timeouts and run capturing smoothly.

Maybe tonight, Polish time, I will manage to find some time and get it over with ;)
After completing the library and Indi, I'll take a look at other programs. FireCapture added to the list.
3 years 4 months ago #64331

Hi Pawel
Correct. (writing a small test program now just looping on exposure and waiting for the result. That easier to adapt and test)

That's a difficult question... My main C8 is equiped with an Atik (mainly trying light curves, and exo planet transits) but i have an smaill 80mm achromat which I would like to use for some deep-sky. But since it is an achromat I am still thinking what to do (mono cam, or new refractor + color cam)
Don't rush ... (ha Polish Time, same as my TimeZone)

Rgrds,

Paul
3 years 4 months ago #64332

I just now found this thread, so I am way behind. I run both an ASI120MC and an ASI533MC camera on my rig. I had tried planetary imaging when Mars was at opposition, but I was not getting decent frame rates (back in August). So I switched to running ASIStudio on a W10 machine, this runs on a 64 bit system, it has all the bells and whistles needed for these cameras. I think they have a SDK on their website as well that may be used to develop drivers (I am not a programmer and am out of my league in this topic other than I could try and run your tests above with my cameras.) I was going to try it on a 64 bit version of Ubuntu on my Rpi 4 and see if I could get ASIStudio to run there, but I found out 2 things; one, the Astroberry Server will not run under a 64 bit system (yet?) and the Rpi4 that I bought last year only had 1 GB Ram (don't know what I was thinking - I guess at the time I just wanted the USB 3.0 connection). Anyway I have since purchased a new Rpi4 with 8 GB and have Astroberry Server running under standard 32 bit Raspbian. I have been doing DSO imaging lately, so have not tried running video capture. I am interested in having both DSO and Planetary capability all under the Astroberry Server on the Rpi, so all of this seems pertinent to me. I will try running the test with my cameras when I get the opportunity.

thanks for all the work,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #64335

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Paweł,
Just my "out of the box" thought. Did you ever tried to contact directly with ZWO about this issue ?
3 years 4 months ago #64409

• Thank you received: 1
Hello Luzik,

I did. They told me they will fix it. I referenced my own perf tests and also Pawel's code so hopefully they will have a good reference and fix it properly.

See bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/11601...sdk-on-jetson-nano/5

for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 3 months ago #65033

• Thank you received: 1
Hello Pawel,

thank you for this library. I was afraid I will have to write it on my own :)

I tested it on Jetson Xavier NX and I can achieve 1936x1096x8@170 at about 40% CPU usage.

When I did some tests on my own with my own ZWO Lib patch I could get the same bitstream (around 2.5Gbit) at about 0.3 to 3% CPU usage so I think it can still be optimized somehow. But to be honest I didn't check your code yet so I can't really tell.

Currently, on Xavier, I am using CUDA to Debayer the camera data and OpenGL to display the result. For details you can refer to forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-tel...processing/160782/13

Everything works really great. I can achieve 170 FPS of such bitrate at 50% CPU and 50% GPU usage. I will probably optimize it further, but currently I am satisfied. Initial tests results are very good and fair enough for the final gadget we are targetting.

My further plan is to save the video to NVME drive in the uncompressed AVI format (Full FPS) and stream part of the video (15-30 FPS) over WIFI to tablet or mobile using the Jetson H264 hardware encoder. I tested this already with Logitech C270 WebCam
and it works great. On the client I have used this: github.com/matijagaspar/ws-avc-player
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Fis.
3 years 3 months ago #65034

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply on this topic, but things have been busy and hectic.

Finally managed to do some real test. Hope understood the instructions about swapping the libraries correctly. Replaced the libASICamera2.so with libASICamera2Boost.so (renaming that to libASICamera2.so (if that is incorrect, pleas let me know)

On my desktop (Intel processor) compiled the ZWO demo versions and tested these with an ASI178MM with both libraries
Difference (in 16 bit was huge, expected 30fps no error 11 with the "boos" version)

Then I compiled the drop in libraries on an RPI4 (and did the same for replacing the libraries)

Tested with Kstars and Ekos and the results were mixed:
- ASI178 and video: performance increase, but looks as memory is getting full (and also some warning about buffers skipped, but that is probably Ekos not able to follow captures)
- ASI178 and normal captures: driver aborts

- ASI120MM-S: both video capture and normal image capture driver aborts immediatelly

Maybe my mistake? But some guidance would be welcome.

For FireCapture don' see how I could swap. FC seems to use a library calle ASICam_x64.so (on intel, did not look at the rPI) and can't replace that with the boost lib. (Can remove libASICamera2.so, FC keeps on running) Looks like something prepared to use with Java, will need to contact Torsten about that.

Ideas? Remarks,

Please let me know;

Paul
3 years 3 months ago #65636

Hi!

I'm coming back after a break.
I thought that we would be able to solve the problems in the original library with ZWO, unfortunately in short I got the answer "most of the users is not so critical about the speed on PI".

So I will continue to develop the boost library. I will take a look at the problems that were mentioned on the forum.

There is low speed writing to the card on the Raspberry PI and it will be difficult to get around this problem. The solution is to introduce:
- compression before saving to the memory card
- saving a short recording - using the version with a large amount of RAM
- sending directly over the network and saving to another computer

I also got "Asus Tinker Edge R" for testing, where most problems can be solved.

After all, there is still a problem with long exposure, if my library solves the problem, I'll be glad my work isn't wasted.
3 years 1 month ago #67852

• Thank you received: 0
Damn it :-/
I was believe in ZWO handling this issue - but failed :-/
I am ready to supporting as an tester, with my asi533 and rasppi4
good to have You on board !

--
greetings from Poland :-]
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Maciek.
3 years 1 month ago #67854

• Thank you received: 8
I don't do planetary or solar observations so haven't needed to take video but I do have ASI cameras an ASI1600MM-Pro and a ASI294MM-Mini that I could use to help with testing.
3 years 1 month ago #67860

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.358 seconds