INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Installing astroberry server on Ubuntu

• Thank you received: 17
I am trying to get the latest update of the Astroberry server and Kstars installed on an Rpi 4 in which I just installed Ubuntu Linux Rpi4 5.4.0-1023 - raspi #26 Ubuntu
I have run:
wget -O - www.astroberry.io/repo/key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo su -c "echo 'deb www.astroberry.io/repo/ buster main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/astroberry.list"
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install astroberry-server-full
But it says it cannot find astroberry-server-full?
so I am trying to load the packages individually, but still some are not found.

any ideas what is wrong?

thanks,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63896

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Probably forgot to install the pre-requisites.
3 years 4 months ago #63897

I did not care for the Ubuntu deskstop and did not want to play around with it, so I went back to Raspbian OS. I followed the instructions here:
www.astroberry.io/docs/index.php?title=A..._Server#Installation

entering:
wget -O - www.astroberry.io/repo/key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo su -c "echo 'deb www.astroberry.io/repo/ buster main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/astroberry.list"
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Then I typed :
sudo apt install astroberry-server-full
and it comes back and says there are unmet dependencies:
$ sudo apt install astroberry-server-full
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
astroberry-server-full : Depends: astroberry-server-wui but it is not going to be installed
Depends: indi-full but it is not installable
Depends: kstars-bleeding but it is not installable
Depends: gsc but it is not installable
Depends: phd2 but it is not installable
Depends: phdlogview but it is not installable
Depends: oacapture but it is not installable
Depends: indi-astroberry-amh but it is not installable
Depends: indi-astroberry-diy but it is not installable
Depends: indi-astroberry-piface but it is not installable
Depends: indiwebmanagerapp but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So this procedure does not seem to be working for getting to Astroberry/Kstars 3.5.0
I will try burning the latest astroberry image next.

thanks for any input.
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63923

• Thank you received: 41
At this point, the only way to run KStars 3.5.0 on Astroberry is building from source. I’m using it for the last two months, while debugging/testing the new StrellarSolve library.

At this point, there is not an official distribution yet.
3 years 4 months ago #63924

Note: When I had Ubuntu/Mate loaded on the SD card I was able to download and install Kstars 3.5.0 successfully. I was just not able to get the Astroberry Server installed. I later realized that Kstars comes with the Astroberry server, so I did not need to install it first. When I could not get it to install, I went back to Raspbian/Buster and tried to install the Astroberry server and ran into the issues above.
3 years 4 months ago #63925

Ok, maybe I will just wait for the 'stable' release, rather than 'beta.' I am running astroberry 2.0.2 on the Rpi4 and I saw that Astroberry 2.0.3 image file is downloadable, so I thought I could install the latest astroberry server after having loaded the OS. I wanted to look at Ubuntu/Mate anyway.

I first loaded: Ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-arm64+rasp.img Note: that it is using arm64, I am wondering if this is the issue.
When I then switched to a new install of the latest Raspbian it also listed using arm64 and Astroberry would not install on their either of those systems.

The SD cards that I do have Astroberry running on are using armv71 OS. I am not well enough versed in the nuances of the interaction of the OS and programs to know if this is the real issue, but it is suggestive that it is to me. If this related to my problem, then perhaps it would be good to somehow qualify what OS version the Astroberry/Kstars suite can be installed on.

As I mentioned above I was able to install Kstars 3.5.0 on the Ubuntu system, but not Astroberry. I also see here:
launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/...htly/+build/20308268
that there was a successful build of Kstars 3.5.0 on an Ubuntu arm64 OS.

I do not want to get into having to actually build anything, so I will wait until there is a easier install option for Astroberry. I will try the latest Astroberry image, it will be interesting to see what OS that is using.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63929

I guess the build that I referenced above was for a Mac OSx, not Rpi. just noticed.
3 years 4 months ago #63936

• Thank you received: 27
I believe it is not possible to install Ubuntu packages on Astroberry as they are based on different OS.
I prefer running Kstars on Ubuntu as it receives frequent updates from Ubuntu PPA repositories and you can switch between stable and nightly releases.
Here is a script which builds a fully functional system based on Ubuntu automatically:
github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4
You can run the whole script or only install individual components, e.g.
make vnc
to install vnc only.
3 years 4 months ago #63943

Thanks for that script, I may not want to "build" the system, but I have in the past and I can follow directions pretty well. I did load the Astroberry 2.0.3 image on the SD card and booted the Rpi. It is still running Kstars 3.4.3 and the main reason I wanted to run 3.5.0 was to have access to the StellaSolver built into Ekos. I have Kstars 3.5.0 running on a Windows laptop, so my current setup is to run only the Indi Server on the Rpi 4 and Kstars on the Laptop. The advantage of the image build is that it is all there in one place.

I may consider going back to Ubuntu and loading Kstars 3.5.0 so it can run locally on the Rpi. I don't really need the wifi server connection of Astroberry as I have an ethernet cable between the Rpi and my house router. I just would need to make sure I get everything (equipment drivers, index files) etc loaded on the Rpi.

I guess my question is how close are we to a release of Astroberry and KStart 3.5.0 running on the Rpi under Rasbian. If it is a matter on another week or so, I will just wait.

The second question is given that I am "hard wired" connected to my Rpi, do I really need the Astroberry Server? The advantage of the Server is that the equipment stays connected even if the connection to Kstars is lost and you can just start kstars again and pick up where you left off. Is that the same as running the Indi Web manager in Kstars or does Astroberry separate it out from Kstars. I guess I was never really clear on that.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63951

It is better to run the drivers outside of kstars, especially if it is prone to crashing.
I just wrote a shell script that starts all my INDI drivers.
3 years 4 months ago #63955

Yes, that is what I was thinking, you can start the indi server from the command line and then run Kstars/Ekos just as you would the Astroberry Server. Care to share what your script looks like? I have a pretty good idea from other posts, but a working example is worth pages of instructions.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63957

Here are couple of commands to create a script:

echo "indiserver -v indi_lx200_OnStep indi_sbig_ccd indi_asi_ccd indi_sx_wheel" > ~/indi.sh
chmod 777 ~/indi.sh
3 years 4 months ago #63962

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.237 seconds