INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

IMX290 - Astroberry and PHD2

• Thank you received: 0

Recently set up an Astroberry, all up to date and have it plugged into a Nikon and a IMX290 for the guide cam. However I have had nothing but trouble getting this to work nicely. I have seen posts with the same issues as mine (their pasted logs pretty much match mine) but after a lot of playing around with settings I have managed to get it to work, although only in 680px x 480px. If I move it up any higher it crashes and I have to reconnect. I have even put a fresh Astroberry on recently with no change.

INDI will also will not save the pixel size I specify so on every boot I have to set the 2.9um pixel sizes (and I even hit save configuration). Other configs such as my Nikon settings are saved no problem, it almost seems it looks and overwrites on connecting.

It looks like I have two separate issues here, saving the config I set (in the logs it defaults to 5.6um) and possibly v4l2 driver issues not playing nice with PHD2? The camera works flawlessly as a capture device in VLC and I can take photos no problem in OAControl, which doesn't use INDI. 

Would anyone be able to assist?
3 years 1 week ago #68759

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is there any more info I could get to help diagnose this issue? Or any troubleshooting tips that I could give a go (it has been updated frequently in case it was a driver error).
2 years 11 months ago #69417

I'm having issues with it as well.

It either crashes the V4L2 driver, or it hangs when attempting to take an exposure (depends on what device settings are being used, but the results are very consistent).

What have you tried that does/doesn't work?

I have the exact same problem of anything higher than 640x480 resolution doesn't work.
2 years 11 months ago #69798

Sorry for delay, basically everything mentioned above. 

I do hope someone could assist with this issue as it is holding up any plans I have to take out my unit, not that weather has been co operating recently. 

To me it sounds like a bug or a conflict, but I hope it is actually us being stupid and the fix is easy.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Alex Blondek.
2 years 10 months ago #71122

I'm brand new here and brand new to Astroberry/INDI. Was hoping to use Astroberry to drive everything rather than my Windows laptop that chews through power.

Ironically this is my problem and the first thread I spotted when I entered the forum.

I've been successfully using an IMX290 webcam as a guide camera with PHD2 in Windows.

On Astroberry, I managed to get it hooked up via Indi webcam driver and do get a (daytime) image. But it seems stuck at 640x480.
2 years 10 months ago #71124

• Thank you received: 21
Which brand is it? 
As you‘re talking video 4 Linux, I am assuming it‘s a Raspi Cam:

Can you try 
v4l2-ctl --set-fmt-video=width=1920,height=1080,pixelformat="H264" -d /dev/video0

and use dd to record a video? Like so (records 10s).

dd if=/dev/video0 of=video.h264 bs=1M & pid=$! ; sleep 10; kill $pid

2 years 10 months ago #71213

Hi Grimaldi and thanks for the reply. I will boot it up this evening and report back. We are actually using a IMX290 (one of the ones from AliExpress) and as mentioned above it works perfectly on Mac or Windows, full resolution and everything so I don't think the cam is at fault.

Thanks,

Alex.
2 years 10 months ago #71220

Well IMX290 is the Sony sensor. And the question is in what package are you using it: Is it connected using USB? Or is it attached to the camera port of the Rasberry Pi (there's a connector on the printed circuit board)? Does it have a PAL/NTSC out? A quick search on aliexpress shows, that the sensor seems to be offered in all these packaging variants (judging from the pictures only).

What is it supposed to be compatible with? For example, the ZWO ASI 290 MM is using the same chip...
2 years 10 months ago #71222

Of course yep you are correct, it is a USB connected to the pi, this is the one I purchased:

www.aliexpress.com/item/33009237481.html...1.0.0.3dd74c4d6xpGfj

I didn't get round to testing out your suggestion but I will tonight.
2 years 10 months ago #71258

Ok, what device is it registered as?
What does „lsusb“ report?
Which device are you using?
What logs are you referring to?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex Blondek
2 years 10 months ago #71260

Hi Grimaldi,

Sorry for delay, here are the lsusb logs and I have made a quick video to demonstrate the issue. Weirdly I now have 1280 x780 working, prior to this it would crash the same as 1080. Before all this I updated everything and updated PHD2 so this mayyyy have something to do with it? One thing to add, I have to set pixel size every time in the settings, it always loads the default (5.6um) when connecting. 

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Alex Blondek.
2 years 10 months ago #71520
Attachments:

And the video.

Device is the IMX290 from ALiExpress, and it is Astroberry on a Pi 4 with 4gb Ram.

2 years 10 months ago #71521
Attachments:

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.667 seconds