INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Altair 183M camera no longer working with INDI/EKOS/KStars

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

Until recently I have been successfully using my Altair 183M camera mounted on a Meade LX90 with Kstars/EKOS on Ubuntu 20.04, until the latest INDI release. I'm using Kstars 3.5.4 Stable from the kstars-bleeding package. Now when I try to expose with the camera it almost always aborts the exposure. On the rare occasion that it does do something the image then fails to retrieve to the Kstars image viewer. The logs repeatedly report errors (see attached as an example).

The INDI Control Panel does not provide any additional info. The camera works fine on the same system using the linux version of AltairCapture. So the camera and cable do not seem to be the problem. I also found the same problem when rolling back to an earlier Kstars version that had worked before. The only component I have not rolled back is the INDI library itself, which leads me to believe that the fault lies with it somewhere.

I'd be grateful for any help - Kstars/EKOS is a really great piece of software and I love using it.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Eamonn Kerins. Reason: Updating title to reflect that a solution was found
2 years 7 months ago #74343
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi,

I'm really hoping that someone can help out on this. I've continued to try to get this camera working but so far no luck.

Just to give a more detailed report - I have two Altair cameras a 130M guide camera and a 183M Fan cooled main camera. I'm running KStars 3.5.4 with INDI 1.9.1 on Ubuntu 20.04. Both cameras have been working flawlessly until recently. The 130M guide camera still works fine but EKOS appears not to be able to execute a successful capture any more with the 183M. Both cameras work fine on the same system with the AltairCapture software so it is not a hardware issue. I attach a full log with EKOS INDI and Capture as well as CCD driver logging set to verbose. I also attach a screenshot of the EKOS camera tab that show it apparently executing a 183M exposure and waiting for the image. In this test session I connect just the two cameras, no other equipment. I set up a 1-sec exposure in the queue at standard setting for each camera, 130 first then 183M. On running the queue for the 130M exposure it succeeds first time. But on running the queue for the 183M exposure an image fails to materialise despite EKOS automatically restarting the exposure attempt many hundreds of times. Eventually EKOS disconnects from the INDI server and KStars closes itself down.

Would be interested to know what might be the cause, or if anyone else has experienced a similar issue recently. Also happy to run any further specific tests that might help pin down a cause. Any help appreciated.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Eamonn Kerins. Reason: re-upload snapshot
2 years 7 months ago #74477
Attachments:

Thank you for the logs. I just pushed a possible fix so please try out the nightlies later when they build. Apparently, the issue is that snapping an image could fail. I just added a fallback to the "regular" capture is snap fails so this *might* solve your issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eamonn Kerins
2 years 7 months ago #74479

Hi Jasem,

Terrific! Just tried it out and it does the job - camera is now producing images again. In case it's useful I attach a log using an identical run to yesterday - 1-sec exposures with the 130M and 183M cameras. All worked fine.

Thanks very much for your help and thanks to you and the development team for such an excellent set of software.

Eamonn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, dolguldur
2 years 7 months ago #74499
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0
I have the same issue on 269c since updating my astroberry. Is this fix only available in the nightly builds?
2 years 7 months ago #74519

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds