INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon D5500 long download times

• Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I am imaging with a Nikon D5500 DSLR and have tried using the Nikon and the GPhoto driver and both have similar results.
For the image to be acquired using 1s exposure, from the time the exposure is done until I get Image received it takes 15secs. This is a huge time to get the image and for example if I want to use focusing or plate solving it takes 15secs every time for a picture to be received and then only plate solving can start whcih almost makes the stars move away by the time it found something.

Back to point, does anyone use the D5500 and what settings do you have and also what is the avg. download times for the pictures.
I am using RAW(NEF), save to SD Card, Local/Client(tried all settings) 

Any ideas, or also if this is just the normal time and I have to live with this it ?

Thanks,
Paulo
2 years 2 months ago #79047

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have D3500 and it downloads pretty fast. At any rate, I added one further setting today which is "Ignore". This will not download image from camera at all but it will keep it on camera and continue to next image. Downside is that you don't see any images in your client, but it might be faster.

indilib.org/ccds/gphoto.html#nikon
2 years 2 months ago #79065

• Thank you received: 87
I have a D5500 and that's the normal download time for a 10/100mb/s network. 
My Canon 550D also did take about the same amount of time (18mpixel vs 24mpixel). It's a network limitation, were talking about transfering 40mb+ for each file.

Now that I have a 1Gbit network it takes about 5 seconds to download my images from my atik to my room.

This matters if you are using INDI Server and Client on different machines. If you remotely acess the server and use it also as the client the download is almost instant.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by nMAC.
2 years 2 months ago #79086

Hi,
I am talking about time from CAM to the computer directly plugged into the camera. I am not using Wifi or any network.
Thanks,
2 years 2 months ago #79087

In that case that's not normal, when I connect the D5500 to the PC it's almost instant. Even my Mac takes about 3 seconds to download.
Are you using USB3 on the PC or USB2? Do all USB ports do the same?
Maybe you are using an USB2 port and have it configured in your BIOS as 12Mbit (Full Speed) instead of 480mbit (Hi Speed). Some BIOSes default to 12Mbit (USB 1.1 compatible).
Nikon D5500 requires USB Hi-Speed to work properly.
Are you using Linux, MacOS or Windows? Some USB chipsets maybe problematic and incorrectly detected and give those kinds of problems.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by nMAC.
2 years 2 months ago #79088

I am connected to a raspberry Pi4 using astroberry. But I have just given up on plate solving with the Nikon, I will use the guide cam and align it with my imaging scope. Guide cam takes less than 1 second.
2 years 2 months ago #79094

Ohhhhh... ok. I had the same problem with DSLRs and RPi. The USB Bus on is shared (network for example) and is not capable
to cope with the large size of the files. That's my opinion but others using it can confirm. This also happens with dedicated OSC cameras.
Normally there are some options that have to be disabled so you can use it, even on an RPi4 because they are very demanding (Auto-debayer, 3D Cube).
You also have to enable "Limited Resources mode". I have opted with the same decision as you at the time, use the guider.
All this options are on the Fits options configuration, have you tried them?
2 years 2 months ago #79095

Yes tried all of those, I even switched off the FITS preview. It still creates a FITS file for the solving so that is where it spends most of the time. I think when I have more time maybe I look into running just the indi in the Pi and then run the rest on the PC.
Any docs to config this ?

Thanks
2 years 2 months ago #79097

• Thank you received: 86
I haven't used a DSLR with Stellarmate for over a year..
I remember the image download times were painfully slow when everything was run on RPI
Just gave it a quick try.
Nikon D5500.

-- when run completely on RPI - image acquire/save time (native NEF) is about 11 sec
-- when run from a Windows client - less than 2 sec.
In both cases the image gets saved to SD card of the camera.
If I switch to FITS (from NEF) the image acquires faster but doesn't get saved anywhere.
I distinctly remember than that a year (or two) ago I was able to have images saved either to camera SD or to RPI folder (or to Windows client folder).
Now I couldn't get it to work like this - it either saves images to camera SD or to nowhere.
Either I select wrong settings or something really changed.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
2 years 2 months ago #79102

• Thank you received: 69
With my Nikon Z7 which create 90M fits files (8256 x 5504) my download time is 1.92 sec to the internal eMMC storage (faster than a micro SD card). If I download to an attached SSD the download time is 1.84 sec.
I have the Z7 configured to capture in NEF (raw), store in FITS, capture target RAM, and save to the SD card. This is on a raspberry Pi clone (an Odroid-N2) which is a bit faster than a RPi4 (running on Ubuntu 20.04.3) built from the latest source. Maybe the Z7 is a bit faster in it's file saving? It uses a XQD card for storage.

If you are able to copy your system from your micro SD card to an external SSD drive, and boot from that, I think you'lll find your storage time improve.
I have a RPi4 with Stellarmate 1.6.1 (not recently updated) booting from an SSD drive, it also saves in 1.84 sec.
2 years 2 months ago #79121

• Thank you received: 86
Silly me - I was using Preview - so nothing was getting saved to anything but camera SD.
Once I added a job to the queue and ran it from there everything started to work.
Regardless, when everything is run on RPI downloads are slow - 10-11s for NEF. FITS are faster - 2-3s.
On Windows client NEF and FITS are faster than 2s.
I am running RPI/SM from a USB stick which is faster than SD but still slow - I guess that's the reason for slow downloads.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by maxthebuilder.
2 years 2 months ago #79143

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds