INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

FPS & Resolution on ZWO OSC Cameras

• Thank you received: 9
I'm copying this to a new thread instead of hijacking the old one here

I have some newbie questions about capturing lunar/solar video with a ZWO OSC. I'm used to doing this with a Canon DSLR but have just moved to a ZWO ASI 183MC Pro.

According to the spec for this camera it is capable of 19fps@5496x3672 to 308fps@320X240

So a few questions if I may:

1. Is the indicated fps in the ekos video window only related to the preview and the actual capture is faster ?

2. Why I can only achieve up to around 6-8 fps when running at 5496x3672 instead of the advertised 19 ?

3. Is running the guide camera (QHY 5L) off the ASI 183 USB hub causing the issue, and it could be improved by wiring the two separately ?

4. How would I switch to the other video modes to achieve the higher frame rates ? I checked in Indilib settings for the camera but didn't see it.

Thanks to Andrew for mentioning the frame exposure times which I'll look into. Any further answers appreciated. The Sun is out of the clouds for now and it would be great to take advantage of it.
2 years 1 week ago #81584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At the risk of answering my own question, after doing more research and experimenting it appears the answer I was looking for is as follows:

Lucky Imaging and Firecapture along with EKOS.For imaging many frames and high data rates it seems that firecapture is one solution. I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 on a Beelink with dual processors so have some bandwidth to run other tools.So far the first session targeting the moon used Kstars/EKOS with a configuration with only the guide camera - but no guiding selected. At least one camera is needed for an EKOS config. The OTA was then controlled by Firecapture. EKOS is used to drive the mount to find the moon and switch to Lunar tracking rates. It still slowly moves out of frame but I get enough images before it's gone. Set Firecapture to 5000 frames and let it go.

The results is a 14GB file (yes GB) and a USB stick with standard FAT32 can't handle it to transfer the image out. Instead it needed to be reformatted to exFAT. Then processed via AutoStakkert. Noisy jpg version attached.

Last edit: 2 years 3 days ago by Damian.
2 years 3 days ago #81735
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 52
Trying to switch subject back to correct one

Damian, check this post
indilib.org/forum/forum-usage/11482-reas...-clicking-reply.html
2 years 3 days ago #81738

Thanks for the link - that is what happened.
Trying to change it back
2 years 3 days ago #81749

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds