INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MacOS / OSX Sv105 driver needed

• Thank you received: 3
I need to get the binary indi_v4l2_ccd driver file for MacOS / OSX.

I have been looking all over the interwebs and had no success.

I have also downloaded the source (indi-1.9.5) and see the files in the ~/Projects/indi-1.9.5/drivers/video directory, but there doesn't seem to be any directions regarding how to Make the binary.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Dan
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by R Dan Nafe. Reason: fix grammar
2 years 2 weeks ago #82109

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Yeah, this would not be possible.. V4L2 depends upon the video4linux drivers which will not work on macOS. That is why I developed INDI webcam a couple of years ago, so that macOS users would have a driver that works with avfoundation and ip cameras which do work on OS X
2 years 1 week ago #82220

Ok, thanks, Rob. It is good to know that I was barking up the wrong tree.
So how do I coerce OSX into using a SV105 as a guide camera on INDI?
When I select SV 105 as a guider or ccd, I get an error that says:

"Driver indi_v4l2_ccd was not found on the system. Please make sure the package that provides the 'indi_v4l2_ccd' binary is installed."
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by R Dan Nafe. Reason: fixed subject line
2 years 1 week ago #82230

So I thought there was an sv305 driver. Is that what you selected to use? I thought that driver had its own ability to control cameras? Or does it depend on v4l2? Did you try INDI webcam as well?
2 years 1 week ago #82236

There is an SV305 driver and that works fine.
What I am trying to do is use a SV105 as a guide camera.
The INDI Webcam driver from the 'Others->INDI Webcam' menu selection never gets farther than "INDI Webcam driver crashed. Restart it?"
2 years 1 week ago #82237

Oh ok I see. I am glad the other driver works properly, but we will have to see why the INDI webcam driver no longer works properly on OS X. I am not 100% sure that it would support the camera you mentioned, but some of the ones that v4L2 supports are supported, it depends on the cameras support in avfoundation I will look into what is going on with the driver though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R Dan Nafe
2 years 1 week ago #82238

Replied by R Dan Nafe on topic MacOS / OSX Sv105 driver

This could be part of the problem: developer.apple.com/forums/thread/693784
2 years 1 week ago #82279

I think you might be right. I may have to change the code that works with avfoundation. But another possibility is that this change would cause issues with ffmpeg itself, which i use extensively to make INDI webcam work.
2 years 1 week ago #82280

Rob, this may be another piece of the puzzle: github.com/libusb/libusb/wiki/FAQ#how-ca...aim-exclusive-access
2 years 1 week ago #82291

Nope, I am pretty sure that is not related. I made INDI Webcam to use FFMPEG and its abilities to get data from cameras that FFMPEG knows how to work with. INDI Webcam does not use libusb in any manner. In fact, on OSX, FFMPEG mainly relies upon avfoundation, which uses MacOS's built in camera management. Maybe at its core it relies on libusb or something like that, but that isn't a part of INDI Webcam and would not be the cause of it crashing. I think it is very likely that apple changed something about the way devices are reported or identified in avfoundation and probably my code that relies on selecting the source for streaming has problems based on that change. I actually tested some different things yesterday and it appears that the IP camera features are working fine on OS X in INDI Webcam. So it is just the avfoundation cameras that cause a crash and it appears to happen when selecting the source for streaming. I will have to look into it probably next week when I have more time.
2 years 1 week ago #82293

We use Libusb in lots of other camera drivers on OS X and to my knowledge there are not currently any issues with that.

The original question was about finding some way to use a second sv305 camera. The user reports that the original sv305 driver works fine. The discussions we have been having about INDI webcam are maybe or maybe not relevant to that original post, but it's still important to fix it. I don't know if it is possible to get more than one camera to get controlled by the working driver. I know they did something with ZWO to make it work with more than one, maybe that should be investigated.
2 years 1 week ago #82294

"The original question was about finding some way to use a second sv305 camera."
Not quite.
;-)
I was asking how to use a Sv105 camera as a guider.
I happen to have a Sv305, that uses a different driver, and works perfectly.
Sv105 using INDI_webcam doesn't work for me on MacOS 12.x.
It just crashes.
2 years 1 week ago #82295

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds