INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MacOS / OSX Sv105 driver needed

• Thank you received: 809
Oh sorry, I missed the numerical difference! sv105 not sv305. I was thinking since you said you wanted to connect an sv camera and use it as a guider but that the other driver works, that you must be trying to connect two 305 cameras, but I missed that it was the 105.

Yes I think since it says that sv105 is a UVC camera, it should hopefully be controllable via avfoundation in ffmpeg. Let me see if I can fix the driver next week.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: R Dan Nafe
1 year 11 months ago #82301

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SV105 driver is just an alias to V42L_CCD driver which is only available on Linux. The webcam driver on MacOS should be able to control this camera.
1 year 11 months ago #82312

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by R Dan Nafe on topic MacOS / OSX Sv105 driver

indi_webcam_ccd doesn't work with MacOS 12.x and Sv105.
It crashes every time.
Apple has done [something] in the kernel of this latest version of MacOS that causes the app to crash.
1 year 11 months ago #82325

@Rob, were you able to give. any attention to the SV105 on MacOS issue?
1 year 10 months ago #82816

Yes, over my spring break, I made some big changes to INDI Webcam. You can try it in one of the nightly builds. I am not 100% sure that it is all done yet, but it works much better now.
1 year 10 months ago #82820

sad face icon: Kstars and Ekos still crash when Ekos starts INDI Server and INDI Webcam is selected as one of the cameras.
The INDI server launches with the other drivers, just fine.
This happens on macOS Monterey and High Sierra.

Thank you for your efforts!
1 year 10 months ago #82831
Attachments:

Any word on this?
Everything crashes when launching indi_server using the indi_webcam_ccd driver.
1 year 9 months ago #83474

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to look at it again after he last time we spoke. I would like to figure this out. As far as I can tell it crashes if you start a profile in Ekos with the driver, but if it already crashed and is already running and you just try to connect to it then it works fine. But starting the driver crashes it. Is this right?
1 year 9 months ago #83491

Starting indiserver <strong>from the binary distro</strong> while using the indi_webcam_ccd driver , from Ekos brings down Ekos and KStars.

Copying indi_webcam_ccd from ~/AstroRoot/craft-root/bin/indi_webcam_ccd to /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/indi_webcam_ccd
then launching indiserver from the shell does not crash.

I can then launch KStars and connect to the already running indiserver, but the indi_webcam_ccd driver is not running, as it has already crashed.

UPDATE: I spent the better part of the day compiling indi-core and indi-3rdparty on my macOS 12.4 (21F79) Monterey machine from freshly downloaded source code on GitHub.

No different results. (sad face icon)

Starting indiserver from the shell yields the attached output (-vvv)

File Attachment:

File Name: webcam.output.txt
File Size:15 KB
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by R Dan Nafe. Reason: added atttachment
1 year 9 months ago #83563
Attachments:

I am not sure yet, but I think it might be related to OS X and its newish protections (I think it started with Mavericks) from programs accessing the camera or screen etc. It is very annoying since I specifically developed INDI Webcam for OS X because there was no V4L2 driver on OS X, so I tried to make a new driver that could do something similar. It might also be that some property hasn't been properly initialized when Ekos tries to access it. As I am entering my summer break now, I should have more time to try to look into it.

But as I was saying before, if I try to start INDI Webcam and then encounter the bug you mentioned, it brings down KStars. But then if I start KStars up again, and then tell it "No" to the question about whether I want it to start up a new INDIserver, it works then. You might also have to say yes if OS X asks you if INDI webcam can access the camera (the aforementioned MacOS issue).

Another thing you might try is to select to NOT have it auto connect the devices, so you have more control of the devices and settings without it crashing right away. And if you saved the profile options for INDI webcam, you can delete the settings file. Note that if you try the IP Webcam feature of INDI webcam, it should not crash at all.
1 year 9 months ago #83570

Thank, @Rob. These techniques allow launching and running indiserver and kstars without it crashing.
Apple has really made things difficult with the release of Mavericks, indeed.
1 year 9 months ago #83581

Time to create page: 1.956 seconds