×
INDI Library v1.8.1 Released (09 Sep 2019)

Monthly maintenance release INDI v1.8.1

Lacerta MGEN support?

3 years 5 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #7648
Is there any way to control the MGEN using EKOS?
Without any communication between EKOS and the MGEN I'm afraid things won't work, so looking for a way to control MGEN with EKOS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7185
Karma: 51
Lacerta MGEN support? #7654
You have to ask the manufacturer if this camera is supported under Linux. If not, ask them if they can provide protocol for control or any API/SDK that would help.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago 3 years 5 months ago by oleg.
oleg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 318
Karma: 5
More
Lacerta MGEN support? #7656

knro wrote: You have to ask the manufacturer if this camera is supported under Linux. If not, ask them if they can provide protocol for control or any API/SDK that would help.

I found some information on page www.starhop.de/?p=20

1. Download des Treibers für den im Lacerta MGEN verwendeten Controller auf der Website des Controller-Chip-Herstellers (in der Tabelle, Treiber für Windows 32- und 64-Bit-Betriebssysteme, Linux und Mac OSX verfügbar). Nach dem Download die Treiberdateien mit der originalen Ordnerstruktur entpacken und den Ort dieses Ordners merken.

You can try my open project Astronomy Linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #7659
I emailed the manufacturer indeed. Will post here when I get a reply ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #7660

oleg wrote:

knro wrote: You have to ask the manufacturer if this camera is supported under Linux. If not, ask them if they can provide protocol for control or any API/SDK that would help.

I found some information on page www.starhop.de/?p=20

1. Download des Treibers für den im Lacerta MGEN verwendeten Controller auf der Website des Controller-Chip-Herstellers (in der Tabelle, Treiber für Windows 32- und 64-Bit-Betriebssysteme, Linux und Mac OSX verfügbar). Nach dem Download die Treiberdateien mit der originalen Ordnerstruktur entpacken und den Ort dieses Ordners merken.


Seems to be the firmware, not sure if this helps controlling it from an external device?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #7663
Received reply:

"you can control MGEN (hardware version II) remotely via it's own windows application provided in the firmware zip file, including wakeup.
You may also use APT to synchronize dithering
www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

But there is currently no support for Linux, request is actually very little."

Don't think that's of any use unfortunately?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7185
Karma: 51
Lacerta MGEN support? #7777
Nope, it's not supported by the manufacturer so nothing to be done unless you can reverse engineer the protocol itself.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 731
Karma: 13
More
Lacerta MGEN support? #12742
Hello!
Has there been any new information on this subject?
I have a MGen II too, and I'm willing to inspect and try to implement its RS232 control protocol into an Indi driver somewhere in 2017.
We would probably get only as much as a copy of the display of the controller, but the remote feature may be interesting.
-Eric

HEQ5-Pro - Atik 314E - Orion ED80T - DMK21 on Orion 50mm
DIY 3D-printed Moonlite and FWheel RGB/LPR
KStars and indiserver on two Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM Linux, VPN remote access

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #12743
No news unfortunately ;)
would be great if we could just start and stop the MGEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago
TallFurryMan
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 731
Karma: 13
More
Lacerta MGEN support? #12748
The USB connection seems to provide a view on the controller screen, and a way to depress controls.
With the eventual capability to exchange configuration files with the MGen, it might be possible to automate some procedures.
And this would probably also give access to the APN shutter control, along with the nice random offset feature.
But there are still many ifs (and I need to push other changes related to v4l2, it's been a long time since I could test with clear skies here).
-Eric

HEQ5-Pro - Atik 314E - Orion ED80T - DMK21 on Orion 50mm
DIY 3D-printed Moonlite and FWheel RGB/LPR
KStars and indiserver on two Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM Linux, VPN remote access

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago
chrisvdberge
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
Posts: 26
More
Topic Author
Lacerta MGEN support? #12750

TallFurryMan wrote: The USB connection seems to provide a view on the controller screen, and a way to depress controls.
With the eventual capability to exchange configuration files with the MGen, it might be possible to automate some procedures.
And this would probably also give access to the APN shutter control, along with the nice random offset feature.
But there are still many ifs (and I need to push other changes related to v4l2, it's been a long time since I could test with clear skies here).
-Eric


Well, that does sound promising...
If I can be of any help in testing or otherwise, please let me know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago
andreas.d
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
Posts: 40
More
Lacerta MGEN support? #13173
Hi There,

MGEN with INDI - control would be great. The MGEN is IMHO the best device for standalone guiding. Lacerta did help those astrel guys to let their cam trigger MGEN's dithering. I just asked Lacerta "... if they can provide protocol for control or any API/SDK that would help.." like Jasem suggested.
It's Christmastime so they might be very busy now...

Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.871 seconds