INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SBIG STF-8300 driver errors with indiclient

• Thank you received: 1
Hello all, new user here. Thank you all for your work on INDI and the supporting community!
Our lab is using INDI to control an SBIG STF-8300 CCD camera for light source testing purposes. We are using the python client indiclient to set up scripting for exposures. We have a successful setup for an older machine, but we are running into issues setting up the camera on a newer machine. I tried contacting the indiclient developers but got no response so far, so any help with troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!
We are trying to set up control for the SBIG camera on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine. The SBIG is connected to the machine via USB, and we have the most recent stable releases of indi (v. 1.9.6) and the indi-sbig driver installed via apt-get using the mutlaqja repo. We are using the most recent of indiclient as well. We added a very simple SBIGCam wrapper for the CCDCam class in indiclient/indicam.py that sets the driver to "SBIG CCD", which works on the other machine.
We try to run the very simple script below:
from indiclient.indicam import SBIGCam
cam = SBIGCam()
cam.ccd_info
which returns the following exception:
Timeout: SBIG CCD CCD_INFO
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
Input In [9], in <cell line: 1>()
----> 1 cam.ccd_info

File ~/pymodules/indiclient-backup/indiclient/indicam.py:49, in CCDCam.ccd_info(self)
     47 info_vec = self.get_vector(self.driver, "CCD_INFO")
     48 info = {}
---> 49 for e in info_vec.elements:
     50     info[e.getName()] = e.get_float()
     51 return info

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'elements'

Other functions such as expose() result in similar timeout errors and NoneType returns. I have also included the verbose output of indiserver -vvv indi_sbig_ccd during this script as a text file.

I'll note line 316:
2022-06-10T22:48:37: Driver indi_sbig_ccd: read message SBIG CCD '[INFO] CCD is connected at port USB 1'
and line 318:
2022-06-10T22:48:37: Driver indi_sbig_ccd: read message SBIG CCD '[ERROR] GetCcdInfo: CC_GET_CCD_INFO -> (Bad Parameter)'
where things start to go poorly it seems.

Any insight into whether this is an issue on the indiclient, indiserver, or camera connection side would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 9 months ago #83607

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry I can't help with the above. I saw you submitted an issue in their repo 5 days ago. An alternative method is pyindi-client .
1 year 9 months ago #83610

• Thank you received: 1
Ok, thank you Jasem. I will try pyindi.
1 year 9 months ago #83611

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds