INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Color camera capture format question

• Thank you received: 25
Hello,

I have ZWO CCD ASI533MC Pro. In INDI, it has 4 capture formats available: Raw 8-bit, Raw 16-bit, RGB 24, and Luma.

For almost a year, I was capturing using Raw 16-bit, and it produced a 16-bit single channel (not RGB image), but somehow, when I process using WBPP in PixInsight I get the final image as RGB and it is a very beautiful one. Although I was very satisfied with the results, capturing grayscale single-channel 16-bit to produce RGB was bothering me, so last night I tried to capture everything in RGB 24-bit format. The file is bigger (understandable), but the image has less quality even when shown in KStars viewer. I have attached sample images

My questions are:
1. Can someone explain how KSTARS views grayscale 16-bit as a color image?
2. What is the best practice format to follow with MC Pro cameras?

Thank you in advance...
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Mohamed.
1 year 9 months ago #83631
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's not grayscale, it's a bayered image that has color information inside it in bayer format. 16bit bayered image would high more dynamic range than 24bit RGB image, since each channel only support 8 bit or 256 shades so the dynamic range is much lower.
1 year 9 months ago #83632

• Thank you received: 25
Thank you Jassem for your response. It makes sense now. Also, I was reading about that after I did my post. I think this is called 16-bit High-Color images as described below...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_color
1 year 9 months ago #83633

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds