INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RPi3 Kstars with Mallincam Skyraider 1.2G on Ubuntu Mate

• Thank you received: 0
I am trying to build an RPi3 controller for my observatory. Been a while since I did any Linux config or any programming at all -- am retired systems guy with decades of VMS, Solaris, Windows, etc internals, having a senior moment. The 1.2G is intended to be the guide camera for my Losmandy. I had been using an SSAG on windows but found it was problematic. I have been trying to connect my camera through Ekos in Kstars, have run through the list with no luck. Camera is connected via usb through a powered hub to the Pi. Installed the V4L2 driver but suspect I am missing how to configure the driver. Tried the SSAG and it was recognized right off as a QHY5, so I think my basic plumbing is correct. Can someone point me where to begin?

Thanks.
6 years 10 months ago #16913

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #16914

Never mind... looked up the command... yes, I will check what the system sees on the USB bus next time I hook up the pi and post what is there. I am using a powered usb 2/3 hub, noticed it took forever for that port to become active. Just ordered one I can dedicate to this setup, should have it when I time to mess with this again.

thanks,

greg
6 years 10 months ago #16916

Right now I don't have a compatible USB 2.0 hub -- they are all 3.0/2.0... If I connect the device directly to the Pi, it is seen, sort of, but doesn't respond correctly. The vendor:device value for the Mallincam is 0547:f111. (anchor chips). Going shopping for a powered USB hub, have a listing...

Found what I needed on Amazon -- verified off the Rpi site list. Hopefully by the end of the week. I really would like this to work, I suppose if worse comes to worse I could get a different guide camera. Oh, noticed when the camera was plugged into the Pi I could get phd2 to start, but kstars/ekos started up and crashed. Am guessing too much power demand.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Gregory Latiak. Reason: add comment on procurement status
6 years 10 months ago #16921

0547:f111 is not the the QHY udev rules file. Try to edit the file here: /lib/udev/rules.d/85-qhy.rules

You'll see 0547 already mentioned, just add your rule in a similar fashion. In the end of the file, also add 666 permission like it's done there as well.
6 years 10 months ago #16931

Thanks.

Added it into the indicated file. Plugged the camera into the Pi and tried to connect with Phd2 -- didn't blow up, so a step in the right direction. Trying to get an exposure failed with usb bulk transfer error -- probably because the Pi doesn't put enough power to the port to run the thing. Will test again when I get the powered hub that is on order. Question -- the firmware load line for these devices. What is it modifying or setting up? And any issues I should be aware of?

greg
6 years 10 months ago #16938

Finally got the chance to hook things up and test. Using the QHY profile, the Pi appeared to connect, but could get neither a video stream or an image. Seems to be a fail... any thoughts? It works fine when plugged into Windoze...

Related... is the Losmandy Gemini scope driver at all interoperable with the Gemini2? By toggling 'set' and 'ethernet' I could get a form to appear that asked for port and IP, but I was unable to humor it into allowing me to enter any values.

thanks.
6 years 9 months ago #17052

• Thank you received: 11
glatiak

Can I suggest you work with the RPI and Ubuntu MATE and first use the program Cheese to confirm the Mallincam is working on the OS. If all is ok then launch the indi installed drivers via the command llne using;

indiserver -vv indi_simulator_telescope indi_qhy_ccd

Good or not so good you will get some response to help identify an issue.

If all is ok, go back to the MATE dektop launch Ekos and connect.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 9 months ago #17063

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds