INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY5LIIC not connecting to INDI on OSX

• Thank you received: 0
Nope, still doesn't work. Tell me more about this getting the firmware thing is there a way to manually induce it to do that? It seems like INDI doesn't know how to turn the camera on but if something else turns it on then it will stay on until it gets turned off.
6 years 8 hours ago #24580

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Basically, a number of cameras need to have their firmware files loaded from the computer onto the camera after they are connected via usb. When you disconnect the camera, the power is disconnected and that firmware is lost again and must be loaded again when it is connected the next time. On Linux computers, the firmware loading is often achieved with a udev "rules" file so that as soon as the camera gets plugged in, the operating system loads it. On Macs, there are no such rules files built into the operating system and they must instead always be loaded by the software. In PHD, the qhy firmware is located in the app bundle in /Contents/Resources/qhyfirmware/firmware/. In KStars, it is in the app bundle in /Contents/Resources/DriverSupport/qhy. And in INDIServer app, it is located in the app bundle in /Contents/Resources/. If you use home-brew, the firmware is in /usr/local/lib/indi/DriverSupport/qhy/firmware.
6 years 7 hours ago #24584

I've got files in both directories and they look like the same files, mostly. On a lark, I tried copying the firmware files from PHD to kstars. That didn't work.
6 years 7 hours ago #24586

One thing you might want to check is whether these folders all have pretty much the same files in them on your computer. One note is that the INDIServer app has a lot more in the resources folder than just the qhy firmware.

Assuming the files are the same, some issues might be that there could be an issue with either the QHY code that loads the firmware, an issue with the INDI code that is built on top of that, or the file path is different from where the software is trying to load it from.

There were some recent updates to both the QHY code and the INDI code as well as the file structure, but I thought this was stored out.
6 years 7 hours ago #24587

Evidentally, not. Are there any log files that would be helpful with figuring out what is going on. I'd be happy to send them to whomever is doing the development/debuging on this.
6 years 7 hours ago #24588

Well I have an idea for you if you want to try an experiment. If you run the indi server from the command line with the qhy driver, you could experiment with the firmware path and see if it loads the firmware properly I don't have a qhy camera so cannot try this anytime soon. I can post the steps required if you like.
6 years 7 hours ago #24590

6 years 7 hours ago #24591

Go to the OS X Terminal.

Type the following to get into the KStars indiserver folder:

cd /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/indi

Connect your camera and turn it on

Then type this command to startup the indiserver with qhy from the command line with very verbose logging:

./indiserver -vvv ./indi_qhy_ccd

Then in KStars make sure you have setup a profile with qhy as the CCD in mode "remote" but with "localhost" as the host.

Try to Start INDI and connect the device. See what happens.

If it doesn't work, or has the wrong path to the firmware (probably, since you did not start it from KStars and it wasn't given the environment variable INDIPrefix), try all this again, but we will tell it where to find the firmware. Do an export command before starting the INDIServer like this:

export INDIPREFIX="/Applications/kstars.app"

Then run the above procedure again.
6 years 7 hours ago #24592

Still didn't work. Immediately when I started the INDI server it gave me this:

2018-03-28T01:34:07: startup: ./indiserver -vvv ./indi_qhy_ccd
2018-03-28T01:34:07: Driver ./indi_qhy_ccd: pid=3410 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2018-03-28T01:34:07: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2018-03-28T01:34:07: Driver ./indi_qhy_ccd: sending msg copy 1 nq 1:
<getProperties version='1.7'/>

2018-03-28T01:34:07: Driver ./indi_qhy_ccd: QHY firmware path: /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/Resources/DriverSupport/qhy
2018-03-28T01:34:07: Driver ./indi_qhy_ccd: read message 'No QHY cameras detected. Power on?'
6 years 7 hours ago #24595

You also might want to try starting the INDIServer and then connecting the camera, so the same steps, but in a different order and see if that helps
6 years 7 hours ago #24596

The firmware path printed out matched the qhy firmware path for the files on your computer right?
6 years 7 hours ago #24597

That didn't do it either. I don't think it's loading the firmware. I noticed that as soon as PHD connects the red light on the back of the camera comes on, and stays on till the camera is unplugged. It never comes on at all when I try to operate the camera via INDI.
6 years 7 hours ago #24598

Time to create page: 0.936 seconds