INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 5D3 over kstar/ekos : indi crashes, no capture

• Thank you received: 2
Hello all,

Thank you Jose and Rob for your help and ideas.
So, here are some results :

1/ I attached a USB external drive to the rpi3.
1.1/ - I tried to save the photo there -> same issue
1.2/ - I moved the /tmp there (moving the content, deleting /tmp and create a symlink at that place
I tested and the "/tmp" was used on the external drive, photo in JPG were saved at correct place
But when i tried the RAW files, i got the same issue :(
I also tried adding delay (5, 10, 20sec) but it crashed or stay in waiting cycle just right after end of exposure, whatever delay after.

2/ I tried the memor saturation point, i was starting also to think that, but in idle state i was at 50% of memory usage, with the exposure on, and during the 'transfert" there is no pick and no saturation, i was going to 60-65% of memory use :(

This morning (french time) Jasem took a bit of his time to investigate, we finally pointed out it should be a issue directly on the gphoto driver.
I open an issue case on the GIT to see further ...

I will wait now other ideas from Marcus or other members of the gphoto team..
I will keep here informed also of any progress -> there must be a solution !! :)
6 years 1 week ago #24855

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Hi there,

I did some tests (with the canon driver) and found a mistake I made. Mirrorlockup was enabled in the camera and dissabeld in the indicontrolpanel, so I disabled it in the camera. After this I could take pictures.
Then I wanted to take some in a row, which was too fast to get the pics downloaded from the cam. So I set delay to some 10-15sec - didn't work either, no delay was applied.
Then I found the rapid looping option in the controlpanel and disabled it - now the delay in the capturemodul was applied and multiple captures in a row went fine.
The issue I mentioned above is related to this I think.

Pask did you check your settings I mention above?

So I tried with mirrorlockup enabled in the camera and set it to 2 secs in the controlpanel. I set it up to take 4 pics in a row with 15sec delay in between. The first 3 went fine, the last one not. Seems to me as if it wasn't even executed and ekos waited for the download that didn't happen. Could have to do what I experienced next.

When I shoot pics with mirrorlockup I would expect the camera to do following: lift the mirror as first action, wait the 2 secs then open shutter and take the picture, closing the shutter and let the mirror down again. It seems to me as if the camera is doing something like: lift the mirror and open the shutter closing it let down the mirror again and after the 2secs lift the mirror again open shutter take the pic. And then the mirror stays up. Seems like there is confusion where the mirror is. Repeated this multiple times.

Further issue I could see is with live view. The mirror goes down after quitting live view only the first time in a session. If you applie it second time it stays up and doesn't go down anymore. Lieveview can be done further but if you quit mirror stays up. Repeated this multiple times.

So there is some mirrorlockup confusion here.

Thanks
Andreas
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Andreas.
6 years 1 week ago #24856

• Thank you received: 182
What happens when you quit KStars, open the terminal and enter
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename ~/Test%n.cr2
That would capture an image and download it to your Pictures folder and thus test the ability of gphoto2 to download your file directly, without putting Ekos in the middle. Make sure, though, that you set a time for the exposure on your camera, e.g. 1", not bulb.
6 years 1 week ago #24857

Sorry, the command has to be
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename ~/Pictures/Test%n.cr2
of course, otherwise the image will be saved to the home folder, not the Pictures folder.
But maybe the mirror lockup issue Andreas identified will fix the issue. Although for Pask that may be unlikely, since he could capture images in the smaller RAW and JPG formats just fine. I would expect that to be equally affected by any conflicting settings in the Control Panel.

You can go one step further and add this to the command:

gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename ~/Pictures/Test.CR2 && eom ~/Pictures/Test.CR2

That will then download and open your RAW file directly in the Eye of Mate image viewer. If that works, then 1) it shows that RAW file is downloaded correctly by gphoto2 and 2) the Pi3 can open and display the file in principle. The problem then probably lies in the way how Ekos handles the display of the downloaded RAW file. From your description that is where the hangup occurs. That may then be not a gphoto2 download problem, but perhaps an issue with not enough memory of the image viewer.
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Jose Corazon. Reason: Added more information
6 years 1 week ago #24858

Further Test in this behave: Both driver run the camera fine with or without mirrorlockup until I do the liveview thing. I could reproduce it. Everytime after the second liveview, when the mirror stays up, the erratic behave of the capture with mirrorlockup is there. I was confused before, I had to powercycle the camera, shutting down indi was not enough so the erratic behave was manifested and I thought its the canon driver per se.

Using lieveview two times messes up the mirror position. Then capturing behaves like described above "lift the mirror and open the shutter closing it let down the mirror again and after the 2secs lift the mirror again open shutter take the pic. And then the mirror stays up."
When this happens randomly a following(the first one or the second or maybe the last in a sequence) capture gets screwed and hangs up the system.

So anything fine but don't use liveview or you have to shut down indi and poewrcycle the cam.

Andreas
6 years 1 week ago #24860

Damn it !
I don't know what I did bad, but i certainly did one (or missed to do one)
I tried to update fully the gphoto2 drivers (gphoto2 & libgphoto2), i found a script from Gonzolo on GIThub which build from the sources and install it.
Script ran fine and drivers were updated ...

But, when i open kstar and open my profile with indi_canon_ccd -> the driver is no longer in the list ! (nor the gphoto one)

I am sure there is a little command to add them back ... but can't get it
I tried to do apt get update & upgrade ... but nothing to update ...

Any clue what i missed ?

Sorry again for so much troubles i bring here :(

Pask
6 years 1 week ago #24863

What happens when you use the terminal to start gphoto2 and save and open a file as I described in my last comment?
6 years 1 week ago #24865

Pask problem was that GPhoto itself cannot even capture an image, so it's not related to INDI per se.

Andreas, you problem is different, it crashed in subframing, I think I fixed it right now in GIT. Another issue, it seems your requested a frame with size (5300 x 3500) while your camera size is (5208, 3476)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pask
6 years 1 week ago #24869

Hello Jose,
When Jasem did it from terminal, it gives the same issue.

We did a full trace of the debug , and you have the result in my first post in the attachement. (I'm not enough an expert to do it by myself but if you give me the list of command i can do it again.

(By the way, i did a reinstall of indiserver and the driver came back in indiserver)

In middle of the night i did a full new install on a different sd card. I use a the ubuntu mate and the astroPi3 scripts. I did again the shooting and the issue remain the exact same. :(

I tried to use the mirror block or not , i also tried the option "fast looping" but we stay at same level with same issue.

I am free to investigate more but i'm not enough a linux guru to do more :( .. we can open a remote session at anytime if you'd like

Jose : sorry i did not see until now your last post :(( and i was up working on that almost all night long :(
Thanks for your patience,
Pask
6 years 1 week ago #24874

This is not an INDI issue since you cannot capture by using gphoto2 command. As I suggested in our chat, you need to report the detailed debug log file for GPhoto2 to their Github issues page and see what they have to say about that.
6 years 1 week ago #24875

Sorry.. just waking up and i thought i was o. The git issue part :((
Mea culpa jasem !
6 years 1 week ago #24876

Hi Jasem,

I wasn't able to save the image properties in the beginning (don't know why, had to reenter them often until I managed to save the updated values after a shot) but in my latest testing they were allright for sure. So they are now and I can reproduce the issue.
I turned of mirrorlockup and tested, did lieveview twice - its the same the mirror stays up after this. Difference: you can shoot pics (i did only short daylight exp) and it seems not to hang. The idle state of the mirror is "up" then.
In other cases this causes problems too:
indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/3206-stock-...uto-focus.html#24468
this seems somehow related indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/3186-canon-...dangerous.html#24255
or this one maybe too: indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/2714-proble...non-dslr-driver.html
I read through the ccd&dslr forum and in some posts I find something like "...I can do a preview and a liveview but not take a picture" and than people are beginning updating and compiling and changing cables or what is worse the thread ends and people quitting INDI quietly ...

Andreas
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Andreas.
6 years 1 week ago #24880

Time to create page: 0.844 seconds