INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate Solving offset for secondary camera?

• Thank you received: 9
All,

I will start off by admitting that what I am doing is probably not common in any way. I have a tablet running Kstars/INDI/Ekos and I have a mount and OTA that I intend to use primarily use for visual. I had a spare Starshoot autoguider that I connected to a 6-60mm f1-1.6 CCTV lens that I picked up for $20. I mounted the works into a vixen dovetail clamp and want to put the thing on top of my 8" LX200 that I use for visual. My intent is to control the mount and plate solve (maybe even guide if I want to stay on an object a while) using the SSAG. Since the SSAG would be on a slightly different axis than the main OTA, my plate solving in the SSAG wouldn't necessarily mean that the object is centered on the LX200 field of view. I am wondering if there are any settings to adjust the plate solving so that it could account for this difference. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
5 years 11 months ago #24953

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
To me the easiest way to solve your problem would be to use adjustable circles, and align your SSAG to your scope with repeated solve&slew on a bright star. I'm not aware of any offset property available, and because of the rotation caused by that offset, that would perhaps be tricky to implement.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: John S.
5 years 11 months ago #24965

• Thank you received: 9
Yeah. I don't figure there is going to be too much of a difference the way I have this mounted. I haven't tested it with an OTA on it yet. I think it will probably work fine and the object should be in the field as long as I don't have it skewed. The little CCD lens gives me about a 7x5.5 degree field of view with the SSAG hooked up to it. As long as I got it somewhat straight, I should have the object in the field of view in the LX200 or so close to it that a nudge would get it there.
5 years 11 months ago #24966

• Thank you received: 182
I am using this approach for planetary imaging. The simplest way is to use a camera on the main scope to plate solve a bright star, then center the cross hairs on it and do the same with the guide scope, then lock it down. After that, you can use your guide scope for plate solving and planet centering and then use dedicated programs like planetary imager to run the camera on your main imaging camera to acquire your videos for frame extraction. Or, in your case, simply view the target through an eyepiece.
5 years 11 months ago #24970

• Thank you received: 3
I'd like this as well. My guidescope has a fixed dovetail base. It would be nice to correct for misalignment using an offset instead of having to align them mechanically.
3 years 3 months ago #65111

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds