INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pentax K-5 capture failed

• Thank you received: 5
Good question. Does that mean that today beside Canon and Nikon DSLR drivers we have now also a Pentax DSLR driver?
5 years 11 months ago #25209

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

In the latest 2.9.4, Pentax DSLR option already in the list. :) Now Jasem is fixing the ghost image issue but only available in nightly build which I am using it now.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Tom.
5 years 11 months ago #25211

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

Yeah! Pentax has finally made the list!

That’s super cool because I just opted to modify my K-5II for full-spectrum rather than buy a CCD. Nice!
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Greg.
5 years 11 months ago #25212

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

Yeah. You won't regret it.
5 years 11 months ago #25213

I just tested the Pentax DSLR driver.
For the logging I selected Ekos Capture and FITS and the CCD-driver (See log attached).

I created one sequence of 2 shots with exposure 2s/2s delay and started with ISO 3200. Next I deleted the sequence and just changed the ISO back to ISO 100.

The viewer shows the frame at ISO 3200 and does not change the ISO while the sequence has ISO 100. I am pushing the start sequence button rather than the Preview button. The result is that the viewer pops up and allows me to invert colors, save or close. The behaviour is totally under control if selecting the FITS format. Frames get saved properly. Also the communication of new parameters for a new sequence seems to work well with the FITS format. Issues reported before were probably due to the native format viewer.
5 years 11 months ago #25218
Attachments:

The log shows only ISO 100 as being selected, there is no ISO 3200 there at all. I'll check this with Canon later today.
5 years 11 months ago #25228

If you want I will check again this evening. I was first running tests with one line of 2 exposures in the sequence list. I deleted the line and put a new one with another ISO value and the ISO did not change on the DSLR. Another test was running two identical lines with only the ISO value that was different. I do not remember whether I run the tests with the FITS format or the Native format. I have the impression that performance is better with FITS than with native. Do not put too much time in it now. I will come back this evening with verified tests and provide the logs.

Just one additional question. Which signal starts and stops logging? Is it the "Connect" signal?
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Stefan Nonneman.
5 years 11 months ago #25234

Here follows the result of my verified test.
The gphoto2 version gives the following result:
This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
gphoto2 2.5.9 gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2 2.5.16.1 all camlibs, gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0 iolibs: disk ptpip serial usb1 usbdiskdirect usbscsi, gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking

I used the Pentax DSLR driver
After reboot and launch of kstars I launched indi and connected the DSLR.
I created a first sequences 2 times a 2s exp, 0s delay with FITS format ISO 100 followed by a sequence with 2 frames with 2s exp and 0s delay again with fits format and ISO 800.

I started both sequences and it all went well except after the 3rd frame the ISO value went temporarelly 1600 before again returning to 800.

Find attached the log

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-32-39.txt
File Size:47 KB
5 years 11 months ago #25240
Attachments:

Yes this is very weird.. I just tried to replicate it with Canon 600D, but it took all sequences with different ISOs fine without any glitches.. not sure what's going on there.
5 years 11 months ago #25274

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

I just thought I would add some confusion...

I think the fits viewer is got some buffering problems. I was playing with the preview again because I wasn't understanding what was happening with the histogram display. So I was going from one ISO to another and frankly I couldn't corroborate what I was seeing with the settings. Also, I got the impression, looking at the histogram, that the fits viewer was adding two, even three captures together. Finally I closed the viewer and did a couple more previews and things appeared to be. This isn't a feature is it?

See in images two and three histogram peaks. This is because I left the fits viewer open and I went through 3 exposure settings.
5 years 11 months ago #25291
Attachments:

I was not yet there, but indeed I do not understand the view in the FITS viewer. If I take 2 frames, I expect that I get twice the same view but that is not the case. The intensity seems to change from one to the next frame. The viewer is not adding I think but need to look closer into it.
In the meantime in order to analyse the issue I reconnected my ZWO camera that worked fine months ago. Now I can launch the driver and start a sequence but it loops without end and without vizualising the frame. I do not understand what is happening. I use the FITS format. From the other side, I thought something was wong with my camera but under windows it works fine. I tried to take a log but did not succeed. :S :evil: :sick:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Stefan Nonneman.
5 years 11 months ago #25340

I think it was just not syncing the GUI while visible. Can you check.. close the histogram, take a photo, then open it up, is it updated now? If yes, then problem should be fixed in next version. If not, then the problem is elsewhere.
5 years 11 months ago #25343

Time to create page: 1.092 seconds