INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY163M driver

• Thank you received: 4
Hello,

I have a QHY163m that I can't get to work with INDI. I saw drivers on the QHY website but it's a .deb archive and I'm running Arch. No source code. I tried installing what I could from the .deb archive, but all I got to work is an ugly proprietary GUI that can't connect to my camera, no INDI compatibility (QHY asks me to connect a device). The INDI QHY driver can't connect to the camera and then crashes (log attached).

lsusb gives an empty line:
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 1618:c163

And no correspondence with this ID in 85-qhy.rules (but correct vendor ID).

I also have a FW attached (QHYCFW2-M), but I'm focusing on the camera first. Then I'll worry about the FW. Any ideas on how I could make it work? Can I simply hook it up to an existing QHY driver by editing udev rules? Or is the solution actually in that package I can't install?

Thanks!
5 years 11 months ago #25444
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Adrien Barrajon on topic QHY163M driver

So... no one managed to get that camera to work with INDI on another distro that Ubuntu?
5 years 11 months ago #25484

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Andrew Couture on topic QHY163M driver

Hello, feel your pain.
I see that the device is found and listed using lsusb, but it doesn't show any descriptors. If the firmware loaded successfully it would a readable name. What does the device list when you try 'demsg -wH' ? Do you get errors and what are they? Additionally, this is a USB3 device, have a look at this link to help get you started.
qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5958.01618
Have you tried pushing the firmware to this camera? If you look (cat) the file located at /lib/udev/rules.d/85-qhy.rules it should show you an example for using fxload3.
Hope this is enough to get you started
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
5 years 11 months ago #25486

Oh well, I'll give it a try. I don't dare editing the rules files though, I'm afraid of damaging the camera.

Does it at least work well on Ubuntu? Maybe I could make a USB stick install for this...
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Adrien Barrajon.
5 years 11 months ago #25487

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Andrew Couture on topic QHY163M driver

I should have asked, what are you running KStars on? e.g. laptop with RPi? just laptop/desktop? Are you running the current version with applied updates? Are you running Ubuntu/windows/Mac or using VMs? Is the camera plugged into a USB HUB or direct to computer? Can you see what power it is drawing down? Are the cables good? (try a different set).
You do not need to edit the rules to push the firmware to the camera just CL
Here is another link for .dep based package;
github.com/qhyccd-lzr/QHYCCD_Linux_New
It says under Update 2 "changed rules to get QHY163 and FX3 cams working"
Looks easy to install, just run the install script - can't hurt to try
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
5 years 11 months ago #25488

I'm running Kstars/Ekos on a laptop (Dell XPS 13" 9360) with Arch Linux. I'm using the latest version, with all applied updates. The camera is brand new, and would probably be plugged directly in USB-3, the other equipments (mount & autoguider) plugged into a USB hub.

I don't know if power is being drawn. How can I check?

I assume the cables are good because the camera is brand new. I can't really try with other cables because the USB-3 is a weird socket on the camera side. Something I had never seen before. But I know for sure the power works (fan spins when camera is powered, and the FW does one full rotation), and I'm pretty sure the USB connection works too because I see the camera appearing with lsusb (although no vendor/product).

I'll give a try to that package, thanks for the link.
5 years 11 months ago #25538

Well it works! I've used the GitHub link you've provided and it's all good now. I still have a problem with the FW which thinks it has 9 slots instead of 5, and I'm not sure why I can't get bin 4x4, but that's for another thread. Thanks for your help.
5 years 11 months ago #25539

Time to create page: 0.695 seconds