INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR and video: Some questions

• Thank you received: 10
Hallo

It was a long fight, but finally I succeded in compiling kstars, libindi and astrometry.net on my openSUSE Tumbleweed Laptop. The biggest deal was to get astrometry.net working for solving offline.

Now I´m trying to learn, how to use my astrostuff with kstars/EKOS, beginning with my EOS 6D. Step for step. So some questions for my DSLR.

1. Can´t I record a video with the full resolution of the camera-sensor? If I click "Live Video" in the EKOS-Camera-Modul, the resoluton in Indi Image Settings jumps down to 960 x 640 px. If I stop Live Video, I can reset Width and Height to the original full resolution, but after clicking Live Video, the resolution is only 960 x 480 px again.
If I record a video, the resulting ser-file has 960 x 480 px.

2. Where can I set exposure time and ISO for the video-stream?
I tried to set the Exposure duration in the streaming-tab of indi control panel. But nothing changes.
In image settings, i found a field for adjusting ISO, but nothing changes in the Live video preview.

That´s all for now

Edgar
5 years 8 months ago #27568

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
I believe that most canon dslr cameras use two sensors, one for the main imager and another one for the live view as well as video. The live view sensor is smaller than the main one.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edgar Scholz
5 years 8 months ago #27577

Thanks Rob
To my knowledge there is only one sensor in the DSLRs. Maybe the Display get another resolution from this sensor. But for livewview it should have full resolution, since I can crop in the camera 1:1 into liveview. I will have a look at Magic Lantern Forum. Maybe, I get some more infos, how that works internally.
Edgar
5 years 8 months ago #27598

• Thank you received: 226
rlancasre: Canon DSLRs have only the one sensor for imaging and live view.
seescho: A DSLR's live view resolution is not representative of the full camera resolution. It is downsampled for display. Different models have different resolutions, but according to here the native resolution of the live view on a EOS 6D is 960x640.
Some models will have movie modes with 'digital zooms' that begin by sampling the central region of pixels of the sensor at, or close to 1:1. This is ideal for planerary recording. Further digital zoom settings however will not gain any additional detail, and it is a simple crop stretch. Here is a list of EOS 1:1 pixel support.
That should summarise your basic limitations. Bottom line is you can not capture a full frame at 1:1, but can with 'digital zoom' / 5x live view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edgar Scholz
5 years 8 months ago #27650

Thanks for clarifying. I will do some tests and report back.
5 years 8 months ago #27678

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds