INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY broken with new release (indi-1.7.4), kstars/ekos (2.9.7)

• Thank you received: 19
I jumped on the QHY forum to point out the challenges we've been having with their driver and asked them what their commitment is to Linux, in particular INDI. Perhaps those of us with QHY devices can add their thoughts on that thread. We're probably a small part of their overall market, but every little bit helps. (I did it as nicely as I could in case you are wondering ... ;)

jmh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Wouter van Reeven
5 years 5 months ago #30594

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
5 years 5 months ago #30595

• Thank you received: 226
Regarding the Orion SSAG with the QHY drivers. I installed the nightly bleeding version to test the new build with the patched SDK but am still experiencing same/similar issues.
The new Orion SSAG driver crashes with Orion SSAG. Is it only meant for the imaging cameras such as the G3 Deep Space mono cam?
The QHY driver still has issues from aborting images. I receive this error when I test image capture and aborts. Sometimes it just crashes too.
GetQHYCCDSingleFrame error (-1)
5 years 5 months ago #30827

If you can post the detailed log, we can forward it to QHY. This is an issue with QHYSDK, not INDI. So it has to be fixed from QHY.
5 years 5 months ago #31030

I will try to provide those when I get the chance.
Incidentally I can probably get in touch with a local who was part of the QHY driver development team for windows through an acquaintance. Maybe they can help.
5 years 5 months ago #31122

Sorry for the delay. I have logged some tests of the Orion SSAG failing after aborted exposure. Here are relevant excerpts with description, and full log.
5 years 5 months ago #31566
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0
Perhaps those of us with QHY devices can add their thoughts on that thread. We're probably a small part of their overall market, but every little bit helps. (I did it as nicely as I could in case you are wondering ..
5 years 5 months ago #31597

• Thank you received: 1
Try version indi-qhy-bleeding-1.7.5-28.1. (Issue #765, Pull Request #766)

-Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew
5 years 4 months ago #31819

That appears to have done the trick!
Thank you.
5 years 4 months ago #31921

• Thank you received: 2
Not sure if it belongs here. I'm reinstalling Ubuntu Mate on my Odroid XU4 and RPi3, starts to look good but I noticed a strange behaviour of QHY9s camera.
Looks like the sensor temperature is not updated automatically, I receive relevant data after several hits of "set" button but cooling power adjusts with a delay (that's normal) leading to unpredictable temperature. example: EKOS/INDI shows 5C, 100% power and after some time of no visble change I try to update and temp is way below pre-set. Am I the only one?

As a result I noticed fog on the sensor and now trying to dry it up.
5 years 4 months ago #31981

HoHr: Maybe check the Polling Period in the driver's options tab. Set it to something reasonable if it is not already.
5 years 4 months ago #31985

• Thank you received: 19

I strongly recommend that you don't connect your QHY9S until QHYCCD gets a stable driver for Linux - the cooling system has to cool the CCD slowly, not at 100% right at the start. From what I read, it is possible to damage the chip. I don't know where the cooling is controlled (camera firmware or Linux driver) but right now the driver has no capability to control cooling in a rational way. I think my QHY9S could be toast because because of this...

Try connecting the camera to a Windows 7/10 system running Nebulosity and take a few darks to see what they look like. You might see many more hot pixels that you would normally see. The other thing that could happen is that cooling happens so rapidly it stresses the connections of the CCD to the camera electronics.

Please note this has nothing to do with INDI - this is purely a vendor driver issue. I believe they are trying to address this quickly, but haven't seen anything substantial yet. Their forum appears to be down, so I'm not sure where they are at.

Regardless, it may be risky to connect any QHY camera that has two stage TEC cooling using the Linux QHY driver.

jmh
5 years 4 months ago #31991

Time to create page: 0.939 seconds