INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help a new user. Cannot make a local profile in windows

• Thank you received: 1
Hi

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of Kstars (2.9.8 ) and Ekos for Windows 10. The program runs smoothly and I can control the mount (iOptron CEM60) and the focuser (Microtouch) through the ASCOM drivers since I downloaded INDI server.

There must be something I'm doing wrong because I cannot connect the T1i Canon DSLR nor the Orion Starshoot Autoguider. When I'm creating the Profile in the Profile Editor, the Local mode is inactive and the only mode available is Remote. How can I activate the local mode? I guess it's necessary for the Kstars-Ekos native drivers to connect to my equipment. Is that true?

All of the gear is connected in the right way to the laptop, so the issue is not about the cables.

The steps I'm following are these:

1- Select the profile created (with the issue of being remote, which I think is the culprit here)
2- Start INDI. This loads the ascom drivers for the mount and the focuser. Since the DSLR and guide camera are not ASCOM, they are not seen.
3- I don't have to use Connect Devices, since this is done automatically when starting INDI.

By the way, when I try to save the aperture and focal length of the primary and guide telescope under the Mount tab, a message appears on the bottom of Ekos window saying "Failed to save telescope information".

Since I'm new to the software, I'm sure there must be something I'm doing wrong.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Alfredo
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Alfredo Beltran.
5 years 6 months ago #29303

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #29361

• Thank you received: 7
Hello, I assume from your post that all devices are directly connected to your computer.
I run Mac and Linux systems, but Kstars/EKOS seem to be consistent with menus. Do you have a listing under 'tools' then 'devices'?
If you can find 'devices', it can be used to connect to the cameras. This server log will give you a listing of errors if it fails to connect. Make sure your camera has not been automounted by another program. The Orion guide scope is supported natively under windows using their drivers and should work. Try working on one device at a time without anything else connected. FYI when you start EKOS, look at the 'Logs' tab. Enable what is applicable and post the results with the log. There is a link somewhere on this site on how to enable logs, worth watching.
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
5 years 6 months ago #29364

• Thank you received: 301
I wonder if, for that use case, a simpler way of doing things would be to create a small Linux virtual machine with an indiserver and all devices connected there from the hypervisor interface. That micro virtual machine would include an INDI web manager for ease of use. I'm pretty sure someone already mashed up something like this before.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfredo Beltran
5 years 6 months ago #29371

I will try both ways to see which one can work.

Nevertheless, I do think that given that a Windows version exists, there must be a way for it to work without the virtual machine.
5 years 6 months ago #29373

• Thank you received: 9
If you want to stick with Windows only solution you must to install the ASCOM drivers for the Orion Starshoot and the DSLR. Once instaled you should be able to expose them remotely to the EKOS client (weather it is localy or remotely).
Regarding the DLSR there is a recent ASCOM open source drivers here : www.cloudynights.com/topic/625568-ascomd...-camers-canon-nikon/. For the starshoot the driver is availblable on the product page : www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/p/99565.uts

AFAIK, the EKOS local mode is not avaible on Windows, but using remote mode with 'localhost' or 127.0.0.1 as remote adress will do the same. Actually, on other platfom (at least on Linux) the so called "local mode" starts an Indiserver wich listens on 127.0.0.1.

Sebastien
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Couture, Eric, Alfredo Beltran
5 years 6 months ago #29380

Right, Local vs Remote more like "Internal vs External" INDI but changing the label now would only confuse users so we'll stick with the existing nomenclature.

I used to provide "Ekos VM" before for this purpose but stopped it due to high bandwidth costs. Right now, these options are available for Windows users:

1. Use INDI Server for Windows: Since it does not map all the INDI properties, you might run into issues.
2. Use RPI3 or StellarMate.
3. Use Ubuntu under Windows. This is limited now as libusb is not supported for hardware devices. It might change in the future.
5 years 6 months ago #29392

• Thank you received: 301
Is there any point in attempting to build a ~350MB Damn Small Linux customized live CD with indiserver and all 3rd party installed? So that "local" users may use that to connect their devices under Windows? I can give a try if that's of interest.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29397

Thanks Sebastien

Unfortunatelly after installing the ASCOM driver of the SSAG, PHD2 can see it but Ekos can't start the driver even thohugh setting it up in INDI server. I'm running latest ASCOM (6.4). Regrading the Canon DSLR, it happens the same. It seems to be that the only option would be to use Kstars and Ekos under other OS.

Regards,

Alfredo
5 years 6 months ago #29408

Thanks Jasem

At the end, it is clear that Kstars/Ekos is a very good solution with huge capabilities for astrophotography if you're under linux, but due to these limitations is not aimed to Windows users. Hopefuly this could be developed in the future, so it could offer a real cross-platform solution.

Regards,

Alfredo
5 years 6 months ago #29410

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds