INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Right settings for ASI 183 MC Pro in INDI

• Thank you received: 10
I am currently checking with ZWO, if the amp glow of my camera is a defect or not and they asked me for raw files from the camera.

I sent them the files I took so far with image setting set to RGB 24. They told me this setting is wrong and I should use RAW 16 bit.

And now my whole calibration workflow in PixInsight is screwed up, after calibration and debayering, I get RED images now with stronger amp-glow!

So I am trying to isolate the problem and want to start with checking the settings in Ekos: for the ASI 183 MC Pro (color camera) is it correct to use Raw 16 bit as a format and RGGB as debayering mask?

I am asking for the debayering mask as well as I see a blue tone when I debayer even my darks with this mask, so I am wondering, if this is the correct mask to use. Additionally, I don't know, if this settings has any effect on the transferred image rather than the metadata entry in the FiTS-header.

Any help appreciated!
Skywatcher Newton 200/1000, Sharpstar 60ED, Canon Lenses
Skywatcherr EQ-6 R, AZ-GTI
StellarMate @ Raspberry Pi 3B+
ASI 183 MC Pro
ASI 290 MC guiding cam on APM 60 ImageMaster
Sesto Senso 2 Focuser + Astromechanics Canon Focuser

5 years 6 months ago #29859

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
Hi Amin,

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I can only share my experience with the ASI071, where I also encountered ampglow issues. The reason was the USB 2.0 interface of the Raspberry Pi. With the ASI071PRO, issue resolved, as the new version is buffering the data.

In case you also use USB 2.0, try to connect directly to a laptop or pc with USB 3.0.

Hope this helps.

Best, Helge
5 years 6 months ago #29865

Hello Helge,

thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I am experiencing as well, a huge amp glow with USB 2 and no amp glow with USB3.

What confuses me right now though is what settings I should use with an ASI color camera in INDI. So far I was using RGB 24, but ZWO says I should rather use RAW 16 bit. When I open up these RAW 16 bit images in PixInsight I see a grid which I can't get rid off. (picture to the right). So I wonder if this is really the correct setting.

Regards

Amin
ASI 183 MC Pro

5 years 6 months ago #29871
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 29
I never tried RGB24. See picture for my settings, except that I now apply for gain = 180 and set antidew=1. In PixInsight I debayer with RGGB, no problems. Processes > ColorSpaces > Debayer, pattern = RGGB.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Helge.
5 years 6 months ago #29872
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 11
Raw 16 is the right one. Then you have 16 bit per pixel that means you get the (chip origin)12 bit multiplied by 2^4 in the files. These files must be debayered.
RGB 24 means 8bit per colour, you get a ready coloured picture (the cam debayers it for you) but the dynamic is compressed to 8bit.
The ampglow of this chip is caracteristic for it. It even got named "starburst" glow. The glow gets stronger with exposuretime but can be calibrated out well with darks.
The darks must suit well: Same temperature and exposuretime is essential. Also avoid long exposuretimes (not more then 5min).
There is a really long thread on cloudinights about this as I mentioned before. Google for "IMX 183 starburst jon rista cloudynights".

edit: maybe of interest for you www.cloudynights.com/topic/616524-sub-ex...and-colour-versions/
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Andreas.
5 years 6 months ago #29874

Thank you guys for confirming RAW 16 bit is right.

But how do I get rid of this grid in Pixinsight? Do I have to set something special for the fits-fileformat? I changed the coordinate origin already as I read somewhere this is the reason for blueish instead of greenish pictures after debayering (wrong starting point of the RGGB-patttern). But I still have this grid.

Thanks in advance

Amin
ASI 183 MC Pro

5 years 6 months ago #29907
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 11
The grid is the pixelmatrix. Don't zoom in that much ;)
Colours get real after colourcalibration.

edit: do you know this site? www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html#
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Andreas.
5 years 6 months ago #29911

Thank you for that link, I know this site.

I still think there is something wrong either in the settings or in the Pixinsight import process.

Please see below a comparison of the RAW 16 bit after: debayering, linear fit of the color channels, ABE and Background Neutralization and Denoising using MultiScaleLinearTransformation. It has nearly no color and still so much gridding.

To the right is a RAW(!) I took of the same object just mirrored with the camera setting to RGB 24.
ASI 183 MC Pro

5 years 6 months ago #29924
Attachments:

Ok, I am slowly getting closer. As the setting of 16 bit RAW is correct, I tested the coordinate origin setting in PixInsight for FITS files and set it back to Upper left corner, so now I don't get the grid anymore after debayering, but a very blueish color, even in my darks, what to me does not make sense for a RGGB matrix, I would have expected it to be greenish.
ASI 183 MC Pro

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Amin Sharaf.
5 years 6 months ago #29927
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds