INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars built into a camera? That's a thing!

• Thank you received: 226
I just stumbled upon this unusual astrophotography camera maker. It is marketed as an all in one wireless imaging system. As far as I can tell it runs linux and has KStars pre-installed among other software and some creative hardware built in.
I just wanted to share this with the community. I'm curious what others think of it.

www.astrel-instruments.com/
5 years 6 months ago #30389

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74
Pretty pictures !!!!!

Nice idea - filter wheel ,"PC" etc in one unit.

OEM board - so only replacement from them

possible weak Wifi - it will be a problem as it uses 2.4 freq

Seems very expensive ,especially the delivery costs ,when compared to main stream camera's - perhaps the more tech can comment.

Support - who knows may be good or bad - you wont know until you need to use them.

Hope they contribute money to IndiLib :-)

Innovation a good thing :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 6 months ago #30403

It does contain the superb Kodak KAF-8300 CCD chip. So the price is already going to be premium just from that spec alone. Other oddities is that the camera goes silent when reading the image from the chip. The wifi turns off and superfluous electronics power down to reduce sources of electronic noise that would interfere with the signal.
5 years 6 months ago #30406

• Thank you received: 57
The camera doesn't seem to me to be the ideal location for the control module and software.

The time is ripe for building a linux machine into a high-end mount, with powered USB3, focus controller, and dew heaters above the axes that rotate with the scope. A power cable below that plugs into a battery or AC , and no dangling wires at all. Control via VNC from a tablet or laptop or phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 6 months ago #30407

I agree. It's not my cup of tea either.
5 years 6 months ago #30410

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds