INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New INDI Atik driver - Feedback requested

• Thank you received: 375

I think I nailed it! I went through deep inspection of Atik EFW2 and it looks like position=129 is set when the filter wheel cannot calibrate or set requested position.
Calibration (and number of filter slots detection) is based on hall sensor, which reads markers located on the edge of filters carousel. If any problem (motor locked, carousel stalled etc) occurs electronics sets position to 129.
In my case I found out that rubber ring around carousel was loose and was randomly blocking carousel rotation. During aggressive tests it even happened that the ring just fallen off the carousel making it nonoperational at all!
After gluing the ring to the carousel with just a few droplets of a glue the issue is gone. And startup/calibration procedure is consistently rendering proper results - no 129 and number of filter slots detected is always OK.

BTW. During the inspection I noticed that USB port on PCB of the filter wheel is quite loose. I needed to use some glue and resolder it so it sits still on the PCB.
BTW2. I believe that the rubber ring issue and poor USB port mounting should be considered by ATIK as an improvement for future versions. Not everybody has a solder station and willingness to fix mechanical issues in a commercial product.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick Chevalley
Last edit: 5 years 4 days ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 4 days ago #36898

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 104
Thank you to find that!
I cannot test with my wheel right now but as soon I can I look for this rubber ring.

Patrick
5 years 3 days ago #36931

• Thank you received: 9
Good morning,

I've been an (ab)user of CMOS for two years. I'm ready to dip my toe into CCD. A friend has an old Atik 314E that I can still find for sale. I've also looked at the Atik 428ex with great interest.
The 314E has TEC cooling but not set-point.
Does anyone know if either of these or both work with the latest INDI driver on Astroberry?

Thank you.
5 years 1 day ago #37005

• Thank you received: 375
indi-atik driver is a generic driver for (almost) all Atik CCDs. It should work off the shelf.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 1 day ago #37016

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Friends,

i like to run the Atik EFW3 besides the EFW2.
Running dmesg shows me different device Ids. But text info shows EFW2 instead of EF3 for the second filterwheel.
The kstars device manager only shows up one device. On command line (-v Option) two devices where recognized.
I search through the web, but could not find any solution yet.
Is there a chance to read out the usb device id in the driver and than to identify if there is EFW3?
Or is there a chance to go beyond in the sourcecode of the libatik to handle EFW3 identification.
Where can i get the source code of the libatik library to have a closer look?
Many thanks in advance and kindest regards,
Gerrit

Add:

Found the libatik code.
Is it just to add

enum ARTEMISEFWTYPE
{
ARTEMIS_EFW1 = 1,
ARTEMIS_EFW2 = 2,
ARTEMIS_EFW3 = 3 // this one??
};

And in the INDI_atik_wheel driver:

const char *fwName = (type == ARTEMIS_EFW1) ? "EFW1": "EFW2";

turn into switch Statement?
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Gerrit.
4 years 11 months ago #37116

• Thank you received: 0
Error found. Missing USB cable O:) But the naming of the EFW3 is EFW2_2. So may be , my idea is a solution to show the right deviceid.
Right?
Regards,
Gerrit
4 years 11 months ago #37120

Last week I wrote:
Thank you, Kaczorek, for your reply.

Here is some additional info that I learned from the seller, Synoptics LTD. Synoptics and Atik are related corporate entities. The gentleman with whom I have been working says that the camera has been validated for use under Windows with their drivers but obviously they would like to know if it works under Linux. The Windows driver reports the camera as "Synoptics", not "Atik" or "Artemis".

Does anyone see any red flags here? I guess the real test is to buy it and try it, and if it doesn't work with INDI then use it with a Windows capture program :-(

Thank you.

EDIT: A friend uses the same camera from the same seller with AstroDMX on Debian Linux with drivers from Cloudmakers. This is a good sign. I am moving forward with the purchase.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by kamisan.
4 years 11 months ago #37262

• Thank you received: 29
Hi,

just tried connecting to new ATIK Horizon, but INDI driver keeps crashing when starting up. I have done all the updates, also run "sudo apt-get install indi-atik" as well as libatik. Not sure if that was necessary. The log file says something about a "child process died".

Can anyone help?

Many thanks, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37356
Attachments:

Hi Helge,

Sorry I can't fix your problem but I can relay my similar experience with Altair cams. In my case the indiserver build was looking for a library named 'libaltaircam' in a directory named '/usr/local/lib/'. There was no such library there. It was located in '/usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/'. indiserver failed in the exact sequence shown in your attached log file. I am sure the guys and gals at INDI will get to the bottom of it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37360

Hi kamisan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience - did you find a kind of workaround, like symlink - not sure how to write out correctly (maybe something like „ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu /usr/local/lib“)

Best, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37364

Just had a look - also in my case the libatik libs are at the mentioned location (x86_64_linux_gnu-folder). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am having the indiserver on a miniPC, and not a Raspberry Pi, thus the location differs?
4 years 11 months ago #37365

• Thank you received: 420
Does it work if you create a symbolic link from the driver in /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu to the /usr/local/lib directory? It can be created with

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libaltaircam.so /usr/local/lib

HTH, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37369

Time to create page: 1.067 seconds