INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SBIG STi fails to complete a series of images

• Thank you received: 0
I have just installed INDI, KStars and PhD2 on a newly configured Raspberry PI 3b running Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
Used 3 cameras (SBIG STF-8300C, SBIG STi mono and Meade DSI II Color) to grab images (mostly Bias and Dark frames) via KStars and PhD2.
Out of the 3 cameras, only the STi is unable to complete a sequence, always terminating with a connection time-out. The STF-8300 and Meade-DSI were able to complete even large series of Dark frames, as many times as I tested with. The STi fails within less than 10 frames, sometimes a few more. This is irrespective of which USB port these cameras are connected with, or being alone of with the others connected as well.
I am using the latest packages for INDI libs, drivers, KStars and PhD2.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this? I was unable to find log files, even after enabling debug in the INDI camera settings, how do I configure logging/debug mode to better understand what is going on?
I am the point where would like to make decision - either stay with one my 3 Windows laptops already setup and used successfully with my gear, adopt the PI box with the old DSI as guider, or buy a new guider camera (ASI or QHY) - assuming these work with my INDI setup. In fact, I would have liked the option of having the PI running the show, but keep buying cameras in the hope that one works is not one of my preferred options.

Please share your knowledge on how to troubleshoot or make my setup work. Your advice on equipment that is known to work with INDI on Raspberry PI3 / UbuntuMate is welcome.

Thank you,
V
5 years 2 months ago #33991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I posted regarding this issue several months ago. No responses, unfortunately.

indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/3463-sbig-s...xposure-timeout.html

I had to abandon use of my ST-i with my Raspberry Pi 3B+ setup.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than me getting someone to look into this..

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viorel Chita
5 years 2 months ago #34003

There is poor support by SBIG for Linux. There are no updates from them for several years now. They are unfortunately stuck in the past. We attempted many times to get support for Linux/MacOS and for different architectures (arm64) but all our requests have fallen on deaf ears. You can complain to them at their forum (good luck) but the best thing is not to buy any SBIG cameras.

I have ST-i for testing so I'll check it tonight, but there isn't much I can do with zero support from SBIG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viorel Chita
5 years 2 months ago #34008

• Thank you received: 0
I was able to enable debug logging and locate the logs. A few things are still unclear, and looking at some errors in the log it appears like a BAD_PARAM condition is met during the run through the SBIG drivers. The code related to the error seemed to be issued in a call to SBIGUnivDrvCommand() either for CC_READ_SUBTRACT_LINE or CC_READOUT_LINE. Error message was ".. Timeout ..."
The strange part of looking at the logs showed a long time spent in reading the data, right after the polling which was pretty much what's expected given my settings for the test (1s and 1.5s exposure for darks) and 100ms for polling. Later on I changed the polling interval. The log info is a bit confusing, saying that exposure time was 100 and 150 respectively (as if the unit was ... 10ms ...)

I'll try to do a more thorough test and clean the logs to not mix up more events than I need.

Thank you. Please let me know if you find anything to help me decide where to go next with my setup.
5 years 2 months ago #34044

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the update, Jasem. And apologies. My post above reads as entitled. I know this is a labour of love for you guys.

And yes. SBIGs support is not good. Their Mac support and support for Raspberry Pi SkyX is poor as well. An unfortunate lost opportunity and poor service for their customers.

Appreciate all the work you do.

Steve
5 years 2 months ago #34046

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds