INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Temperamental ZWO ASI120MM (USB2)

• Thank you received: 11
ISSUE:
During the setting up of my imaging gear on an HP laptop running a newly installed Ubuntu 18.04 I had an issue with my ASI120MM (USB2) guide camera not taking images; it is getting stuck in an 'expose' loop everytime I went to take an image, the exposure time keeps looping with no image taken (FWIW; the odd 1 out of at least 50 tries did come down). Tried all the usual hardware and setup changes but to no avail. (Strangley I cannot enable DEBUG). However, in the process of trying everything, I asked for LiveView and hey presto it sprung back into life, happily takes frames as demanded. Doesn't work everytime but, it can work.

UPDATE:
So much for the former solution, back to the same issues.

I installed ASICAP for Linux and have no problems accessing ASI120MM or ASI1600MM. I return back to EKOS and no joy with the ASI120MM, just looping the expose with no image captured. Also, as mentioned before I cannot enable the ASI120MM DEBUG, I get auto disabled after trying.

SOLVED:
Resolved by flashing the camera via the Windows FWTool utility. The compatible.icc didnt work, but with the standard .icc it works.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Keith Cobby.
5 years 1 month ago #34929

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Working OK here using both the native zwo and indi asi driver under PHD2. Try that perhaps?
HTH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Cobby
5 years 1 month ago #34930

• Thank you received: 420
I am surprised that you get any images at all with the ASI120MM. There is a known issue with this camera in that it doesn't adhere to the USB2 standard and in general modern Linux kernels (including the ones from Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04) simply refuse to take images. ZWO have released a patch to the firmware that fixes the problem but I never got it to work. In the end I bought an ASI120MC-S (same camera but a color chip and USB3) which works flawlessly.

If you are interested in the firmware then please search this forum because there are several posts about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Cobby
5 years 1 month ago #34934

• Thank you received: 11
I think I've fixed it; I flashed the ASI120MM via Windows with the standard .icc and all works fine again. I tried the compatible.icc but still had the problem. Hopefully after a few hours guiding I'll have my confidence back. Thanks for suggestion, will save in case I need it at a future date.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
5 years 1 month ago #34936

• Thank you received: 94
Hi. If not, try flashing with the Linux version:
drive.google.com/open?id=1eXBCN06Uz6pGdf-TDd_8ETVW5QRw9zSO
Works with both USB2 and USB3 sockets.
HTH.
5 years 1 month ago #34937

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds