INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR auto focus issues

• Thank you received: 2
I didn‘t upgrade today ...
5 years 1 month ago #36311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Canon DSLR auto focus issues

Then don't do it. ;-)
5 years 1 month ago #36312

I tried gphoto2 --shell commands and these do work. So my cam is OK. Are there any other camera settings that might prevent focusing from doing its job? Who knows, maybe I have changed some inadvertently.
5 years 1 month ago #36314

Now focusing via Indi panel works again but the autofocus routine in Ekos won't move the lense at all. I can hear the mirror does not go up (other than for taking pictures) so it appears to me LiveView mode isn't activated at any time. Lots of pictures are being taken but they are all the same.
5 years 1 month ago #36338

Awesome data Christian! Ok, so I might either have to adjust t he Ekos autofocus algorithm, or make one special for DSLRs. I need to examine the data and see how it can accommodate that.

Will investigate this more once I get the artificial star.
5 years 1 month ago #36343

Herrhausen, I would like to help, but I am afraid I don‘t know any new advice. When I experienced the autofocus routine wouldn‘t move the lense, I could solve this by manually enableing the view finder mode in indi AND select an arbitrary focus move from the drop down menu on the same panel.
I noticed that after a live view window is closed, view finder mode is being disabled. In the inidi panel it remains checked as enabled, though. Then I had to re-enable viewfinder mode by unchecking and rechecking it in the indi panel.
5 years 1 month ago #36346
Attachments:

Thank you, Jasem. I am looking forward to that.
5 years 1 month ago #36347

chengel, that's exactly what I do. In Indi it works as expected. In Ekos though LiveView is not being activated and the lens does not move. Maybe you should update to find out whether the difference in behaviour stems from the fact that the canon drivers and/or Ekos versions we use are not the same.
5 years 1 month ago #36354

Hello Herrhausen,
I just upgraded to the latest nightly build.
I cannot confirm the problems you report. Here everything is running like yesterday....
5 years 1 month ago #36355

You hear the mirror flip when focus is being adjusted? Puzzling!

While we're at it... does the mirror flip separately, for every focusing command issued?
5 years 1 month ago #36363

Tried again, no luck. Changed 40D -> 5D Mk2, same result. Changed USB wire, same result.

As you can see, focus did not move. I give up now. I've added ~1000 pictures to the shutter count to no avail. It doesn't make sense to run one test after another with the lens not moving one iota. Maybe the situation will have changed when I'm back from vacation. I wish you success and good luck!
5 years 1 month ago #36364
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
Reviving an old thread because we ran into this issue tonight. We tried the autofocus feature on a Canon 700D with a Canon 50 mm lens and also with a Canon 200 mm lens but the autofocus doesn’t work. We tried using libgphoto2 from the command line and the focuser moves. Also from the control panel with View Finder switched on, when selecting a Manual Drive option the focuser moves. But not from the Focuser tab when clicking the focus in or out buttons unless the View Finder was enabled in the control panel. As soon as live view is enabled, the buttons stop working.

What else can we do to help investigate and resolve this feature?
4 years 7 months ago #42990

Time to create page: 1.013 seconds