INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR auto focus issues

• Thank you received: 2
Hello Herrhausen,
I just upgraded to the latest nightly build.
I cannot confirm the problems you report. Here everything is running like yesterday....
5 years 2 weeks ago #36355

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Canon DSLR auto focus issues

You hear the mirror flip when focus is being adjusted? Puzzling!

While we're at it... does the mirror flip separately, for every focusing command issued?
5 years 2 weeks ago #36363

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Canon DSLR auto focus issues

Tried again, no luck. Changed 40D -> 5D Mk2, same result. Changed USB wire, same result.

As you can see, focus did not move. I give up now. I've added ~1000 pictures to the shutter count to no avail. It doesn't make sense to run one test after another with the lens not moving one iota. Maybe the situation will have changed when I'm back from vacation. I wish you success and good luck!
5 years 2 weeks ago #36364
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
Reviving an old thread because we ran into this issue tonight. We tried the autofocus feature on a Canon 700D with a Canon 50 mm lens and also with a Canon 200 mm lens but the autofocus doesn’t work. We tried using libgphoto2 from the command line and the focuser moves. Also from the control panel with View Finder switched on, when selecting a Manual Drive option the focuser moves. But not from the Focuser tab when clicking the focus in or out buttons unless the View Finder was enabled in the control panel. As soon as live view is enabled, the buttons stop working.

What else can we do to help investigate and resolve this feature?
4 years 6 months ago #42990

Please clone INDI and open INDI Gphoto driver in Qt creator or another IDE. The move relative focuser function is defined in line 1822:
IPState GPhotoCCD::MoveRelFocuser(FocusDirection dir, uint32_t ticks)

Which sets up a timer for UpdateFocusMotionCallback ins line #1850
void GPhotoCCD::UpdateFocusMotionCallback()

Which calls the gphoto_manual_focus function defined in gphoto_driver.cpp, line #2165
int gphoto_manual_focus(gphoto_driver *gphoto, int speed, char *errMsg)

All the focus stuff are contained within the above, so you can investigate why it's not working and hopefully can submit a patch to fix the issue.
4 years 6 months ago #42992

• Thank you received: 0
So I guess this was never resolved?
Such a pity. Autofocus with my Canon lenses would be brilliant.
I spent a good 3 hours last night trying. Like these old posts, sometimes focus ring will move, sometimes not.
3 years 5 months ago #61687

• Thank you received: 4
I haven't tried outside yet as it's been rainy, but I just learned about the DSLR drivers and focus control, so I've tried indoors.

Indi/Ekos is working the focuser, but there are a few quirks. First is the step size. While I have small numbers like ~ 50 for my scope focusers, I seem to need to use huge numbers like 2500 for the step size on my lens. There seems to be no sense of absolute position, so it's a bit hard to figure out where the lens thinks it is apart from looking at the focuser ring. I think if I'm close to the end of the range and I ask to step too far, it just does nothing. It would be good to test this outdoors under the stars to see if I can figure out a procedure that works. Being able to control the focus from Ekos would be fantastic (vs using my eyeball and liveview).

roland
3 years 5 months ago #61758

Time to create page: 2.388 seconds