INDI Library v1.7.6 Released. (27 Feb 2019)

First release of 2019 comes with quite a few new drivers across the board along with significant performance improvements to INDI camera and live streaming performance. Many drivers received significant updates to improve performance & stability, while a few were re-written from scratch to be in line with INDI standards. Here are some of the highlights:

Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos

• Thank you received: 0

Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos was created by phattire72

Hello,

I am trying to setup a serial shutter release in Ekos using GPhoto (DSLR Cameras). When I try to connect to the serial cable I get the following error (attached picture):
Cannot Open Camera: Power OK?

In the info for GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) it show the following:

If your camera uses an external shutter release cable, make sure to indicate the port of the shutter release USB cable (usually /dev/ttyUSB0) in the Main Control tab of the GPhoto driver before connecting to the camera.

Additionaly, users may employ DSUSB/DSUSB2 from Shoestring Astronomy in order to control the shutter. Before you connect, the port field must be set to DSUSB.

I verified my Pi is seeing my USB Comm port and it is listed as /dev/ttyUSB0 when I have the terminal list devices.

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I have not added the circuitry for the shutter release yet to the Comm port as I would like to verify GPHOTO sees the Comm port first.
Derek Dailey

Equipment:
Olympus EPL-5
Pentax K-70
Celestron C6SE with 6.3 Focal Reducer
Celestron AVX mount
Celestron Nexstar SLT mount with homemade EQ wedge
ZWO ASI120MM Mono Guide Camera
Orion 50mm Mini Guide Scope

Software:
PHD2
Stellarmate OS
Deep Sky Stacker
Adobe Photoshop & LightRoom
1 week 5 days ago #36531
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by phattire72 on topic Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos

I plan on making the opto-isolated circuit on this website when I get this working: www.beskeen.com/projects/dslr_serial/dslr_serial.shtml

Does Ekos need to see the circuit in order to detect the Comm port?
Derek Dailey

Equipment:
Olympus EPL-5
Pentax K-70
Celestron AVX mount

Software:
PHD2
Stellarmate OS
Deep Sky Stacker
1 week 5 days ago #36532

Replied by knro on topic Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos

The error message is that the camera is not getting detected to begin with. Try to install GPhoto2 and test the capture.
sudo apt-get -y install gphoto2

then
gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=gphoto.txt --summary

Does it detect it?
Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
1 week 4 days ago #36552

Replied by phattire72 on topic Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos

knro wrote: The error message is that the camera is not getting detected to begin with. Try to install GPhoto2 and test the capture.
<code>
sudo apt-get -y install gphoto2
</code>

then
<code>
gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=gphoto.txt --summary
</code>

Does it detect it?

It comes up :

*** Error: No Camera found. ***

I do not have a camera connected, only a USB serial port with the opto-isolated serial to shutter release. I have attached the diagram of what I built. My Stellarmate Pi is detecting the USB port from what I can see. I ran ls /dev and I see the follwing:

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

My USB comm port has 2 separate ports and they both populate the list. Is there something in Gphoto2 I need to enable so it looks for the USB serial as a camera?
Derek Dailey

Equipment:
Olympus EPL-5
Pentax K-70
Celestron AVX mount

Software:
PHD2
Stellarmate OS
Deep Sky Stacker
6 days 4 hours ago #36806
Attachments:

Hello Jasem,

Does Ekos support the serial shutter if a camera in not connected via USB? I just want to simplify things by using Ekos to Guide, Dither, and Trigger the shutter release with a USB serial cable. I thought from the description for Gphoto2 it would do this, but after some tinkering I see it does not which is why it is not detecting my serial release. My Olympus only has 1 USB port which can either be used for a computer connection or a remote shutter release, so I cannot do both at the same time.

Is there a way to add a stand alone serial shutter control to Ekos without having a camera connected?
Derek Dailey

Equipment:
Olympus EPL-5
Pentax K-70
Celestron AVX mount

Software:
PHD2
Stellarmate OS
Deep Sky Stacker
1 day 5 hours ago #36985

Replied by knro on topic Questions on Configuring Serial Shutter with GPhoto (DSLR Cameras) in Ekos

Hello Derek,

This is what the "Shutter Release Port" is for in the GPhoto driver. Just find out what port the serial shutter release port is using and put that in. Is it /dev/ttyUSB0 or 1 or something else? what does dmesg say when you insert the cable?
Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
20 hours 13 minutes ago #36995

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds