INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pentax K-5 always adds 2 seconds to the selected exposure time

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,

i am facing a problem with my Pentax K-5 connected to the stellarmate gadget. Every exposure in EKOS (either in the capture, alignment, or focus module) results in a shot with 2s+selected exposure time. So if i want to make an 1s exposure the result is an 2s+1s = 3s exposure. This is quite annoying and makes it impossible to create bias or flat frames and to be honest anything else.
Please see the attached logfile from an 1s and 0.2s exposure

File Attachment:

File Name: log_17-39-...3-17.txt
File Size:11 KB
5 years 1 week ago #36670
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this a new issue? Looking at the log, I find this:

[2019-03-17T17:40:50.438 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Setting toggle widget bulb: 1 "
[2019-03-17T17:40:52.561 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Setting new configuration OK. "
[2019-03-17T17:40:52.601 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Time left: 199 ms "
[2019-03-17T17:40:52.606 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Exposure started. "
[2019-03-17T17:40:52.771 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Time left: -1 ms "
[2019-03-17T17:40:52.775 Mitteleurop�ische Zeit DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Pentax DSLR K5D : "[DEBUG] Closing internal shutter. "

So libgphoto2 is taking 2 seconds to respond to "open shutter" command for some reason. Can you capture manually in shorter durations?
5 years 1 week ago #36702

The 2 seconds for my pentax dslr are added to any exposure time in EKOS. Of course it is possible to capture shorter exposure times manually (DSLR not connected to INDI/Ekos). From EKOS it´s impossible.
The latest drivers are installed on the Stellarmate gadget.
I don´t have another camera (guide cam etc.), so i cannot say if this problem is only related to my pentax dslr.

Heiner
5 years 1 week ago #36711

• Thank you received: 66
This is not new. I’ve had this problem for a long time.
5 years 1 week ago #36747

libgphoto2 developers had anything to say about it?
5 years 1 week ago #36753

So, how did you dealt with it. The big problem for me is not taking bias and flat frames from the camera itself. The problem is, that light/darkframe dng files from EKOS and the flat/bias dngs from pentax are incompatible in DSS or sequator.
5 years 1 week ago #36756

I raised the issue here assuming it might be identified as a gphoto2 problem but didn’t hear back. I lived without flats because I was getting pretty flat images until I got astropixelprocessor which gives better processing, so now I need flats.

I developed this method (flash photography) and seems to work:

If you set exposure for the min you get about 1/32 sec -if I recall. Fast enough to use a flash to overpower stray light.
5 years 1 week ago #36762

I should point out though that the t-shirt method , whether flash or not , seems to produce slight overcorrecting in the flats.

So really we need to control the exposure better.

Having said that, if you have a good snr vs iso curve on your camera - like the k-5 - you are better to shoot low iso in which case flat exposure is easier to control.
5 years 1 week ago #36766

Time to create page: 0.732 seconds