INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Zwo uncooled VS cooled

• Thank you received: 223
So, we have the uncooled vs cooled CMOS Zwo cameras, having a TEC has massive advantages over uncooled cameras.

However this is the kind of image you can get from an uncooled ZWO 174MM in 7nm Ha Filter.

source: www.cloudynights.com/topic/522984-the-or...sing-the-zwo-asi174/

And another example from the same user, and with a 7nm Baader Ha filter.

source: www.cloudynights.com/topic/504002-my-new...ono-setup/?p=6769471

I do like the uncooled ones as I could mount it as follow, I do have that bracket.

source: www.cloudynights.com/topic/552863-m31-wi...s-and-imx178-camera/

If the uncooled cameras (talking about Zwo only here) were that bad, I mean everyone is banging their drums about cooling....
why is Zwo keeping an uncooled camera line?!?!

I am interested in the 174MM or 183MM for my Nikon lens to be used as widefield.
4 years 10 months ago #38775
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
One possible explanation could be that a cooled camera requires more power which can be problematic with a mobile setup in the field. Another explanation could be that as long as you take proper darks (meaning of the same length shot at the same temperature as the lights) then you can do proper noise reduction. The advantage of a cooled camera is that you can control the temperature and create master darks for the temperature at which you shot the lights during daylight. I am sure there are more reasons for wanting an uncooled camera.

Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #38778

I can think of costs for example, also from what I read you do not have to expose for 5 min like with a CCD.
4 years 10 months ago #38781

• Thank you received: 165
For planetary/lunar/solar imaging cooling doesn't really do anything as frames are so short anyway. Longer the exposures, more dark current accumulates. I have uncooled ASI178MC and cooled Atik 383L+ and although they aren't really apples to apples in any way, the difference in dark noise is day and night for long exposures and even 30-60s already shows quite big difference.
4 years 10 months ago #38783

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Zwo uncooled VS cooled

Wow! Great images. Thats a great setup too. Give that guy kudos for thinking it through.
4 years 10 months ago #38784

He's taking some amazing pictures with an uncooled camera and a lens only
www.cloudynights.com/topic/571806-the-ro...ns-and-zwo-asi174mm/

and this makes think that less is more....
4 years 10 months ago #38786

• Thank you received: 420

I don’t understand why not cooling would allow for shorter exposures. Unless you talk about CCD vs. CMOS. CMOS chips tend to have a high quantum efficiency allowing for shorter exposure times. I use an ASI1600MM Pro Cooled and take 50 sec images in L and 150 sec in R, G and B but all could be about half and I’d still be ok. The reason I take longer exposures is that it means I only have to stack half the number of images.
4 years 10 months ago #38787

Talking CMOS only here for the shorter exposures.
4 years 10 months ago #38788

Time to create page: 2.593 seconds