INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY5 not found by Ekos

• Thank you received: 8
So I tried anyway and installed fxload. It doesn't seem to work. Below is the output from journalctl -f, and attached is the output from indiserver -v indi_qhy_ccd.

It does seem to work with Ekos briefly (using the streaming option in the config screen). But then it becomes unresponsive and I quit kstars to stop Ekos. I think I'll be uninstalling fxload.

Charles
Jun 16 19:27:06 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1618, idProduct=0920, bcdDevice= 0.00
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi mtp-probe[543]: checking bus 1, device 8: "/sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3.5/1-1.3.5.4"
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi mtp-probe[543]: bus: 1, device: 8 was not an MTP device
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi systemd-udevd[542]: Process '/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5II.HEX -D ' failed with exit code 255.
Jun 16 19:27:07 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: USB disconnect, device number 8
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x81 has invalid maxpacket 64
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1618, idProduct=0921, bcdDevice= 0.00
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: Product: QHY5-II          
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi kernel: usb 1-1.3.5.4: Manufacturer: QHY-CCD  
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi mtp-probe[548]: checking bus 1, device 9: "/sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3.5/1-1.3.5.4"
Jun 16 19:27:09 indi-pi mtp-probe[548]: bus: 1, device: 9 was not an MTP device
Ubuntu 18.04 and Raspbian Jessie; INDI 1.7.4
Mounts: CEM-60 chiefly; iEQ45
Cameras: Atik 383L+, QHY5-II-M
Focuser: Moonlite
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Charles Wright. Reason: Fixed [code] formatting
4 years 9 months ago #40254
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Odiug on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

Hi Charles,

Good! At least some progress.

FX3 refers to the Cypress USB interface chip used in these cameras. The FX2 is for USB2 and FX3 for USB3. The QHY5 family only uses FX2.

In the first of your last two posts you see two lines with failing fxload. The second post only shows the second failing fxload line. What is strange is that the device address after "-D" is missing. I guess you have two matching udev rules that trigger fxload. The first one was successful now that you have an actual fxload, therefore the camera briefly worked in INDI.
So you might look for udev rules files in /etc/udev/rules.d and/lib/udev/rules.d and delete the wrong one. Hard to say which one. You can rename a rule file and append ".disabled" (any suffix would do) to try out.

That the camera stopped working in INDI is unrelated to fxload. I have had issues with streaming before, also with a non-QHYCCD camera. I do not use it anymore. With my ZWO ASI 224mc I also have to switch the camera to a different mode (LUMA instead of RGB), which is annoying. I use the focuser tab instead, which can loop single image acquisitions.

CS
Guido
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Wright
4 years 9 months ago #40261

Well anyway, it does work now. lsusb shows the product id is now "0921", and Ekos recognizes the device and can loop in guiding to get images. No idea why it's working.

I don't know why that error shows up in the logs indicating that fxload failed. The argument for -D is supposed to be "$env{DEVNAME}", and the fact that it's an empty string certainly seems wrong since every rule in /lib/udev/rules.d/85-qhyccd.rules has the same command argument, which makes a person think it's important...

I grep'd all .rules files on the system and the only one specifying vendor ID "1618" and product ID "0920" is the QHYCCD ruleset under /lib.

So, something else must be loading the firmware, or otherwise hooking the device up? Mystery to me...
4 years 9 months ago #40282

Have you also checked /etc/udev/rules.d? Any rules there that match 1618:0920?
udev does not stop with the first matching rule it finds. It executes all of them.
I suspect it finds two rules: one with the error and one successfully loading the firmware.
4 years 9 months ago #40285

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by John Robison on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

Hello Oduig,

After looking at several non related issues, I have learned a few things about rules and Ubuntu-Mate. As for the QHYCCD brand of devices, I think I will create a distinct QHY5L-II rule. This prevent the blow out of any KSTARS rule overwrites.

The rules for QHYCCD are INDI-QHYCCDcamera.rule and INDI- QHYCCD.rule. A # is a comment field. The QHYCCD rule has many lines commented out. After reviewing the models, 1618:0921 is not listed. 1618:0920 is listed.

1618:0941 is the PoleMaster. 1618:0940 has a rule. None exist for 1618:0941.

If wildcard is used, then like families of devices would be working. I used a wildcard in getting another USB device to work. That was assigning a TTY port.

I added rules to the default QHYCCD rule files for the missing products that I have. Only one problem exists. The fxload and the -D (devpath) is pretty important. The OS refuses to load QHY5II.hex. This is fx3load being called out.

I will create a custom QHYCCD rule for the two newer devices not supported yet. This should cover me. I would like to know why the -D option is required for UBUNTU- MATE. Usbfs is an old distro of linux. All other QHYCCD models have -D blank.
4 years 9 months ago #40289

I grep'd through the rules under /etc/udev/rules.d. There are only 3-4 files there, one of which I put there to assign fixed serial port names to my focuser and telescope.

I did a "sudo find / -name '*.rules' -print" to make sure there weren't unexpected places where rules files were lurking. This correctly found all the rules files under /etc/udev and /lib/udev, as well as under the INDI git repo clone, and no other places.

I've reading about the "udevadm monitor" command this morning. Might this be useful to seeing what's going on when the camera is plugged in? "udevadm test" might be useful, too...
4 years 9 months ago #40293

Hello CRW4096,

Yes. Udevadmin looks like a good place to find DEVPATH. The device path is needed with the rules. This tool is the way to get it.
4 years 9 months ago #40294

Hello,

Success! I have both QHY5L-II and PoleMaster recognized by EKOS. I created custom rules from 85-QHYCCD.RULES and 85-QHY-CAMERAS.RULES. I preserved the original files in a specific folder. I updated the rules and rebooted the PI. EKOS picked both devices up using Device Manager.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 9 months ago #40296

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

What are the contents of the 2nd file?
4 years 9 months ago #40297

@AradoSKYindi:
Where are the INDI-QHYCCDcamera.rule and INDI- QHYCCD.rule coming from? The original INDI 3rdparty drivers come with a QHYCCD rule file called "85-qhyccd.rules".
In this file both pairs 1618:0920 and 1618:0921 can be found. For the first pair the firmware is loaded with the help of "fxload". Then the QHYCCD device renumerates and comes back as 1618:0921, which triggers the second rule which just sets the permission to read/write for everybody.
Same holds for 1618:0940 and 1618:0941.

Ideally there should not be any tinkering necessary with the rules files. I was suspecting that maybe another package or manual editing interfered with the original rules files.

Also a -D without an argument does not make sense. Something must be wrong there.

CS
Guido
4 years 9 months ago #40300

@AradoSKYindi:
You have both 85-QHYCCD.RULES and 85-QHY-CAMERAS.RULES?
Maybe one is a leftover from an older install or different package.

Ah, I see, Jasem also wonders what is in the second file...

CS
Guido
4 years 9 months ago #40301

Hello,

I downloaded AstroBerry from this site. Whatever is in the default package is what I have. I have since upgraded to Ubuntu-Mate 18.04.

The following are my two QHYCCD components that EKOS could not see after a KSTARS update. 1618:0921 is the QHY5L-II. 1618:0941 is the PoleMaster. I looked in /etc/udev/rules.d and found 85-QHYCCD.rules and 85-QHY-CAMERAS.rules. I searched both files for my hardware. I found older revisions 1 digit off.

I did notice a large section of Vendor provided stuff commented out. I looked for QHY5II entries. The family resemblance was 1 digit off. So, I decided to save off the originals, then pare down the file to put the Action and ATTR for both models. I also included turn off MTP check and and check not related to the devices.

I created an 85-QHYCCD-local.rules and an 85-QHY-CAMERAS-local.rules. This will keep my specific needs from being overwritten. I installed the rules , rebooted, and KSTARS worked. In fact, both products appeared under QHYCCD.
4 years 9 months ago #40304

Time to create page: 1.410 seconds