INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Recommendation for a guider camera?

• Thank you received: 13
Given that the ASI120mm is giving me issues with not only the raspberry 3b+ but also my laptop, and given that it is a well-known issue with no solution, I am thinking of getting a different brand and maybe turn this one into some sort of polar scope, all-sky camera or something like that.

The thing is that I don't want to go crazy spending money. At 130mm focal length the chances of getting a very bright star to guide are really high, so I don't need great sensitivity, but some stability. What are your opinions on the QHY5L-II-M? How does it work with indi/ekos+raspberry pi? Any other model you would recommend with that small tube format?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Mireia.
4 years 7 months ago #42757

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I don’t know about that QHY camera, but the ASI120MM-S (USB3 version) works like a charm on all my pc-like devices.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #42760

The only problem is that due to how my setup is placed (super compact), the normal camera format may be too big, so if possible I would like to stick with slim cilinder cameras. That is why in reality I have the datyson instead of the standard zwo (but I have tried with a real zwo aso 120mc and also gaves me the same broken frame issues)

What about the asi 120 mm "mini"? (the one with usb-c 2.0 type interface, does it work without the annoying broken frames?)
4 years 7 months ago #42763

• Thank you received: 420
To my best of knowledge, the ASI120 mini works well. The bug present in the ASI120MM camera firmware is not present in the mini.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #42768

• Thank you received: 133
Well, a clear recommendation would be the 290MMmini, especially because of the small pixels (looking at the short focal length of your guide scope). I'm well aware that it doesn't really match the budget constraints (but it surely is worth the money).
4 years 7 months ago #42771

Well, it is 130mm, but I guide a 250mm redcat, so the resolution per pixels of both optical systems is actually very similar given the large pixels of the 6d :) Thank you all !!!

Ok, so there's consensus on the mini and given it is one of the default packages of asiair, I guess that one will work fine. Maybe someone with permission should update the pages in indilib.org for the cameras bases on the old zwo asi 120 to reflect the current issues in linux systems. Thinking mainly on the Datyson one?.
4 years 7 months ago #42775

Time to create page: 0.710 seconds