INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI120MM Mini not working

• Thank you received: 1
I just got myself a ZWO ASI 120MM Mini for guiding, in addition to the ASI224 I already use. Both cameras show up in Ekos, but while the ASI 224 succesfully captures pictures, the ASI 120MM doesn't. For example, when trying to capture a preview, it does so in an endless loop without ever showing any image.

Any suggestions? I believe a compatibility firmware is not need for that one, so I really don't know where to start.

Thanks.
4 years 6 months ago #43022

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic ASI120MM Mini not working

I have an ASI120 (not the mini) and one thing I noticed is that I have to have it plugged into a USB2 port on the observatory desktop PC. Lucky its an old PC with 4 usb2 ports and 2 usb3 ports.
Might be worth a try if you are currently using a usb3 port.
Derek
4 years 6 months ago #43027

Tried it right away because I had indeed used the USB3 ports. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem :(
4 years 6 months ago #43029

Alright, I've looked into the debug logs, this is what I am seeing repeatedly:

org.kde.kstars.indi: ZWO CCD ASI120MM Mini : "[DEBUG] StartExposure->setexp : 1.000s "
org.kde.kstars.indi: ZWO CCD ASI120MM Mini : "[DEBUG] ASIGetExpStatus failed. Restarting exposure... "
org.kde.kstars.indi: ZWO CCD ASI120MM Mini : "[DEBUG] StartExposure->setexp : 1.000s "
4 years 6 months ago #43031

• Thank you received: 40
The ASI120MM (USB2) and also the ASI130MM (USB2) is well known for making trouble under Linux. I own the 130MM and can only use the camera in 8 bit mode. In 16 bit it is very unreliable and just makes trouble.
If you search here in forum for "120mm" you will find all the trouble reports. Also the reports are reported in ZWO forum.

What works though is the 120MM-S USB3 version.
4 years 6 months ago #43036

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Mireia on topic ASI120MM Mini not working

But the mini should work too no? It is what they sell by default with asi air.
4 years 6 months ago #43041

Yes, I also thought the Mini was immune to those issues. Plus, there doesn’t even seem to be a compatible firmware I could flash to solve the issue.
4 years 6 months ago #43053

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic ASI120MM Mini not working

As far as I know the mini does not suffer from the compatibility issues the original 120mm usb 2.0 version has.

Which if anyone is interested in understanding more about will find it is due to the 120's USB controller sending non-standard sized packets which the Linux kernel's USB core module handles differently as security vulnerability. It can supposedly be patched out, but I have never had any success rebuilding the kernel.
4 years 6 months ago #43085

Time to create page: 0.825 seconds