INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Issue with exposure length using Fuji XT2

• Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,
I've got the following setup:
  • Fuji XT2
    • Exposure dial set to "B"
    • PC CONNECTION MODE set to USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO
    • SHOOT WITHOUT LENS enabled
    • All other settings are default after a reset
  • Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) running StellarMate 1.4.4
    • I am using the "GPhoto CCD" driver
I'm able to take photos using the "preview" button in the capture module (JPEG, compressed) and the image shows in a pop-up window. The problem is that the shutter speed icon on the camera's display changes from "BULB" to "100", and it's only taking a 1/100s exposure even though exposure length is set to 1s.
I did notice that changing the exposure length to 10s causes the camera to take a 1/10s exposure and so on. The problem is that if I set it to 100s the camera will take the correct exposure time, but ekos will wait the full 100s... Is there a setting to change the exposure time scale or something?

Thanks!
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Justin Woodman.
4 years 6 months ago #43144

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you please share the logs (INDI+CCD enabled)? Maybe it's an issue with parsing shutter speeds from this camera.
4 years 6 months ago #43173

I've attached the log file (verbose, INDI+CCD)
Edit: Attached a second log file with "driver debug" checked under "logging levels" within INDI Control Panel -> GPhoto CCD tab -> Options tab. I realized this might have more useful information.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Justin Woodman.
4 years 6 months ago #43193
Attachments:

The shutter speeds look odd. Your camera stars either at 1/8000 or 1/32000, so assuming the former that's 0.000125 seconds. The logs shows 0.0122 seconds, so it's off by about a factor of 100x if they do indeed mean 1/8000 s.

When it captured 1 second, it selected the closest shutter speed 0.9843 seconds, but you said it took 1/100 s or 0.01 s. So 0.9843 / 100 = 0.009854 which is very close to 0.01 or 1/100 s ... this confirm the 100x factor difference. I think an issue in libgphoto2 should be raised to fix this problem.
4 years 6 months ago #43276

• Thank you received: 19
I have a Fujifilm X-T1 and it is absolutely unusable with Ekos, or any other Linux app, for that matter. INDI simply fails to connect to it properly. Using the tether function in Darktable I can preview and take 1 - and only 1 - photo before it bails and disconnects. I then have to unplug the camera, turn it off, then plug it back in and power it back on. Using Entangle, it crashes after every photo.

Are you able to successfully take photos using the program Entangle or with the tethering function in Darktable? Because if you can't, the problem is with gphoto2 support for Fujifilm cameras (having done some reading into the subject, there appears to be some non-standard stuff in how Fujifilm cameras communicate).
4 years 6 months ago #43416

@Aurneth I was planning to upgrade from my trusted X-T10 to an X-T1 because it lists as compatible in the gphoto compatibility list so I was hoping I can use it with Ekos. Did you try updating the firmware? Can you confirm it is still absolutely unusable with Ekos? I have a good deal I could pull off for just $250 which seems cheap for an X-T1...
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Riccardo.
3 years 6 months ago #60272

• Thank you received: 19
Alberto,

My camera continues to not work with INDI or anything else, really. Its firmware is fully updated.

But as the issue I'm having with my X-T1 doesn't seem to be reported elsewhere with gphoto2 it may well just be limited to my individual camera or a small number of them. It partially works with Entangle in that I can get a live view and take a single shot, but then it hangs.

I'd recommend getting Entangle and INDI installed on a laptop to use that for directly trying out the camera before buying. If Entangle can successfully keep taking photos, move on to INDI/Ekos and try to load it as a generic camera.
3 years 6 months ago #60307

• Thank you received: 1
Dear Alberto,

Did you try to remove the Force Bulb setting on the Indi setting.. ?

I use a XT-4 and I have to turn off the Force Bulb, if on, no chance to work with.
SW EQ3 Pro Synscan Goto (Modified)
Tecnosky 60/360 F/6
Fuji XT-4
QHYCCD 5II
QHYPolemaster
135mm Samyang
12mm Samyang
3 years 2 months ago #66594

• Thank you received: 6
I have the X-T3 and have been working (fighting) with Ekos / Indi trying to make things work.

I have discovered:
1. Force Bulb = OFF
2. Camera set to ES (electronic shutter), Shutter speed dial set to "B", ISO dial set to "A", focus selector to Manual, "Shoot without lens" = ON, Camera's PC Connection Mode set to "USB tether shooting auto".

I am shooting RAW, uncompressed files.

I am able to use the camera via Ekos / Indi to make exposure sequences. (but only using shutter speeds that the camera is capable of - the Indi driver only supports certain shutter speed despite what the Ekos Camera Module drop down box shows. e.g. setting 7 seconds causes the camera/driver/?? to fault require (in my case) a reset of the Raspberry Pi that runs the system. (I found a list of "supported" shutter speeds in the Debug log produced by KStars.

Hope this helps you a bit.

I don't know whether the X-T1 has these settings available in it's menus or not.
3 years 1 month ago #66618

Time to create page: 0.814 seconds