INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Call for QHY driver testing

I worked with QHY to develop a new driver for INDI. It is based on their SDK, which is released as binary-only for the moment and is available for 32, 64, and armv6 architecturessudo. If you have my PPA and Ubuntu 14.04 or later, you can get it now:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indi-qhy && sudo-apt-get install indi-qhy-dbg

Please note that if you have multiple QHY devices, then you need the latest version of KStars bleeding for multiple devices per driver to work properly. For those who want to install from source, you need to install libqhy first then indi-qhy from the 3rd part repo in subversion. Please report any bugs and make sure you read how to report problem first!
9 years 1 month ago #3040

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Steen on topic Call for QHY driver testing

I will do some test on QHY 5II and QHY5.

By the way I was at a star-party last night and showed KStars and Ekos to friends, normally using windows apps. and they where stunded by the way every thing is working together in indi. Also the client-server solution, witch is difficult in windows.

One of the isues for them not to shift to linux/indi was the lack of a new QHY driver

Keep up the good work :cheer:

/steen
9 years 1 month ago #3047

Excellent. I'll test on my QHY5L-II-C. I have a few questions about the driver...

Peter.
9 years 1 month ago #3053

1. Yes
2. No, QHY said they will release once all testing is complete.
3. Yes.
9 years 1 month ago #3054

Thank you for your work on the new driver. Image capture and download seems reliable, though there are a few issues.

Camera: QHY CCD QHY5LII-C

Working:
  • Image capture/download is reliable.
  • Cropping frame.
  • Compression
  • Gain, but it only goes from 0 to 4. I may be wrong but I think the QHY driver has the ability to go from 0 to 100.

Issues:
  • Line/band down side of image (see this FITS file ).
  • Setting exposure time has no effect, it appears to be fixed.
  • Debayering? The driver doesn't transform data from colour sensors. Should this be left up to the client application? (see here for what I did in my hacked together INDI driver).
  • Binning isn't available on the QHY5LII-C but the controls are displayed.
  • Abort exposure doesn't work. Debug output only says "Abort exposure failed (-1) ".

Untested:
  • Guide port

Let me know if I can assist with further testing.

Peter.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Peter Strapp. Reason: Attachment missing
9 years 1 month ago #3070

Thanks a lot, I passed to QHY. Regarding debayeing, I asked them to add a function to know if the camera is color so we can add bayer FITS keywords. If would be great if the guide port can be tested as well.
9 years 1 month ago #3072

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by ernst on topic Call for QHY driver testing

Hallo,
I could do some testing for a QHYL-II-c on a Raspberry PI 2. Yesterday I tried to compile the content of the GIT-repository on the Raspberry PI, but I did not succeed in compiling the 3rdparty_lib due to compiler errors. So there might be something wrong in my setup.
Is there a compiled version of drivers available for a Raspberry PI?

BR
Ernst
9 years 1 month ago #3152

9 years 1 month ago #3154

Yesterday evening I tried to test Indilib_1.0.0 on a Raspberry Pi 2 with a QHY5L-ii-c. I used a newly installed OS to avoid any conflicts with former tests.

Configuration:
- Raspberry Pi 2
- Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7-v7+
- Indi Library 1.0.0 Code Revision: 726523
- QHY5L-ii-c connected over a powered USB-hub

When starting an indi server I get the following messages:
2015-02-16T22:29:18: Startup: indiserver -v indi_qhy_ccd
2015-02-16T22:29:18: Driver: indi_qhy_ccd: pid=10409 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2015-02-16T22:29:18: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2015-02-16T22:29:18: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: Open QHYCCD error

The driver itself seems to recognize the CCD as the red LED on the QHY5L-ii-c is light and the last digit of the USB-address is changed from 0 to 1, which indicates that the CCD is booted.
When using KSTARS and selecting the QHY CCD I get similar error messages.
In the source code I released that there was an old and a new QHY driver. How can I distinguish between them?

The configuration is working fine with a Philips SPC900 and the V4L2 driver.

Do you have any suggestions if I did anything wrong?

Ernst
9 years 1 month ago #3168

Did you try connecting from a PC? i.e. the QHY hooked directly to your PC?

From the INDI QHY Driver , it seems that the QHY5LII is supported, but _maybe_ you are facing issue because you are using the color version. I actually asked QHY to support the color versions as well, but the Chinese new year is coming up, so we'll have to wait until they're back to work in two weeks

The INDI Raspberry PI I uploaded yesterday only contains the latest QHY code, the old code is no longer used.
9 years 1 month ago #3170

I installed Ubuntu 14.10 on a PC and connected a QHY5L-ii-c to it but without any telescope.
Configuration:
Sony notebook VGN-Z31
Linux 3.16.0-23-generic
INDI library 1.0.0
QHY5L-ii-c

In KSTARS I started the QHY CCD service and was able to take a picture, but because of my setup without any telescope I cannot evalute the image quality itself. But in this configuration the QHY-driver seems to works properly.

Comparing to the Raspberry Pi I see the following difference:
- When opening the device manager in KSTARS I can select the QHY CCD and start the service. Then I get - even if no CCD is connected - at least an empty INDI control menue and in the KSTARS device manager the status of the QHY CCD service is indicated to be running.
- When doing the some on the raspberry I do not get the INDI control window after selecting the QHY CCD, but an immediate error message.

Ernst
9 years 1 month ago #3171

• Thank you received: 7
ernsts: I got similar problem with my QHY8L. But if I run indiserver as root, I can use camera just fine. So I suspect some problem with permissions somewhere. But I haven't time to dig into this deeper.
9 years 1 month ago #3228

Time to create page: 0.988 seconds