INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO Camera ASI 120MM Mini Mono with StellarMate?

• Thank you received: 6
My ASI120 mini works just fine with Stellarmate on an RPi 3. I use it as a guidecam.
4 years 5 months ago #44356

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 138
Same for me, my ZWO ASI120MM Mini just works on both Windows and INDI.

My Altair GPCAM MT9m034M Mono is a different story, it's never worked on INDI and while it used to work on Windows now, with the latest driver updates, it doesn't. This is a rebadged ToupTek camera and neither Altair not Toupteck have shown the slightest interest in sorting this. Rumour has it that it depends on the type of hardware, some work and some don't.
Altair and Touptek have been added to the list of companies I won't buy anything from that uses electricity.
4 years 5 months ago #44392

• Thank you received: 31
I received my new ToupTek Camera model GP1200KMB today and I am very happy to let you know that it works very good with StellarMate out of the box.
I don't have the same stability issues that I did with the ZWO ASI 120MM Mini Mono camera.

So now I am very happy :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 5 months ago #44499

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
120mm stable and reliable on any usb port with this firmware:
drive.google.com/open?id=1eXBCN06Uz6pGdf-TDd_8ETVW5QRw9zSO
tested with ubuntu 18.04
Cheers and HTH
4 years 5 months ago #44507

• Thank you received: 17
Where does this firmware come from? And is it for the 120mm or the mini?
My ASI 120MM and MC works like CR*P with messed up frames all over on RPI 3. Tried flashing the 'compatibility' firmware, and it does not work any better with or without...
4 years 5 months ago #44510

• Thank you received: 420
To my best of knowledge that firmware is for ASI120MM/MC and not for the mini since there is no downloadable firmware for the mini. This essentially is the compatibility firmware that you probably already applied. I did the same thing once and never got my ASI120MC to work properly as well so I replaced it with an ASI120MC-S (USB3 version) and that works like a charm.
4 years 5 months ago #44511

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
A search on 'cypress chipsets usb' should throw it up. I always had difficulty finding it so when I had it working, I saved a copy.
I have only tested it on Ubuntu on a Dell laptop. The reason we needed it is that we didn't have a spare usb2 port. You can choose which zwo model you have on the command line when you update the firmware.
HTH and clear skeis
4 years 5 months ago #44512

Ah, thanks. It must be the same as I have already tried. I was hoping that someone had modified it, such that it would actually work :-)
4 years 5 months ago #44513

I’ve noticed that my firmware updated ASI120MC now works fine as a guide camera on my Kubuntu laptop and the raspberry pi 4 running raspbian buster, I’m using the internal guider, setup on the raspberry pi via Rob’s Astropi3 script. No broken frames or dropouts however, it will not stream video without the frames breaking up and it still won’t work correctly on a raspberry pi 3 or 3 B+ set up in the same way.

Regards
Alan
4 years 5 months ago #44516

Great to know. It also makes sense, as one thing that was changed in the RPI 4 was the USB controller. I will keep my ASIs and try them when Ubuntu is ready for the 4.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by S.
4 years 5 months ago #44517

• Thank you received: 226
I also noticed that my ASI 120MM (USB2) is stable on my RPi4. But I have not had an opportunity to use it in a session yet.
4 years 5 months ago #44545

• Thank you received: 182
I can confirm that the ASI120MM (USB2 version, updated firmware) works on the Pi4 under Manjaro Linux and KStars 3.3.6 as long as exposures are kept at >0.5s. At <0.5s frames are sometimes garbled, which is obviously not good for guiding.

And once the frames get garbled, it's only a matter of time until KStars crashes.

Within these limitations, the ASI120MM may still be useful for guiding, but not much else on Linux.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 5 months ago #44574

Time to create page: 1.001 seconds