INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

canon mirror lockup

• Thank you received: 1

canon mirror lockup was created by Paolo

Hi all.
I noticed that if I not set the mirror lockup on my canon eos 50D , after the first shot all other shots are a black frame.
So my question is if I must alway s et the mirror lockup on canon or if there is other option to set on ekos.
Some days ago I tried to use a canon 1100D (with baader filter), but this camera has not the mirror lockup function and I'm not able to take shots.... fore hre previous reason (after the first shot all others are a black frame).

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Paolo
4 years 5 months ago #44686

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic canon mirror lockup

To use mirror lockup you enable it within the camera's custom functions menu AND then set the mirror lockup delay within the INDI GPhoto driver: Enter value in seconds>Set>Save configuration.
4 years 5 months ago #44687

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paolo on topic canon mirror lockup

Hi Ihoujin,
thanks for answer, but my questio in not how to configure mirror lockup within Indi ( I already set it and all works fine), but if the mirror lockuo is a must in order to take photo.
As written before, the canon 1100D has not the mirror lockuop function, so I'm not able to take pohot with this camera...

Paolo
4 years 5 months ago #44690

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic canon mirror lockup

Mirror lockup has to be supported by the camera to function. You may be able to get around that by installing Magic Lantern in the camera to add that feature and many other useful ones.
That being said, it is debatable whether there is much benefit in using mirror lockup on long exposures as any shutter vibration is often overshadowed by seeing condition and tracking accuracy since a telescope rig should be stable and have enough inertial mass to resist the vibration.
If you were overextended on a lightweight tripod, that may be a different story, otherwise don't sweat it too much and use the camera you have.
4 years 5 months ago #44691

• Thank you received: 94

Replied by alacant on topic canon mirror lockup

Hi. No. Mirror lockup is not necessary to be able to take an exposure.
If you're having trouble taking a shot, after changing for a cable which you know to work, make sure mirror lock is disabled both in camera and in indi.
Cheers and HTH.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by alacant.
4 years 5 months ago #44704

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds