INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY Driver: Testing required

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Dirk on topic QHY Driver: Testing required

Hello Mike,
I have really no idea what causes this. I am sure, that a raspberry pi 4 would not change a thing.
When did you say this started? Right after you installed StellarMate 1.46?

Maybe a downgrade to 1.44 or so would help for the time being? I am running my Qhy 8l with another Linux Version an self compiled Indi...
But I have access to a raspberry pi3+ with StellarMate and can test my camera against that over the weekend.

Regards
Dirk
4 years 2 months ago #47617

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Dirk:

Damn frustrating no? The last time I used StellarMate I was running 1.3.x. I took the time this weekend to upgrade to the latest version and set up my system. I was also working with the new iOS app.

Not sure if I have the older binary around. I tried running the QHY Update Check but it was giving me dll error. Will have to troubleshoot on Sunday now.

Regards,
Mike
4 years 2 months ago #47618

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by fmozza on topic QHY Driver: Testing required

Hi,

Just saw the the request to test QHY cooling. I updated all the indi bits and ran a test using my QHY163m - log attached.

Regards,

jmh

File Attachment:

File Name: log_2020-01-03.zip
File Size:18 KB
4 years 2 months ago #47622
Attachments:

Hello,
from the log file, I would say, the result (the temperature regulation) was o.k. I am a bit surprised, how the power changed from time to time by a very large amount, the fluctuation is much smaller with my camera:

[2020-01-03T12:07:17.152 CST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY163M-7fe6e24 : "[DEBUG] CCD T.: -20 (C) Power: 51 (20.00%) "

[2020-01-03T12:07:23.156 CST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY163M-7fe6e24 : "[DEBUG] CCD T.: -20 (C) Power: 51 (20.00%) "

[2020-01-03T12:07:24.158 CST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY163M-7fe6e24 : "[DEBUG] CCD T.: -20 (C) Power: 205 (80.39%) " < -- 20% -> 80% -> 21 % strange.

[2020-01-03T12:07:26.160 CST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY163M-7fe6e24 : "[DEBUG] CCD T.: -20 (C) Power: 55 (21.57%) "

[2020-01-03T12:07:30.162 CST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY163M-7fe6e24 : "[DEBUG] CCD T.: -20 (C) Power: 57 (22.35%) "

But in the end the temperature seems pretty stable.

Regards

Dirk
4 years 2 months ago #47626

I had noticed the odd temperature changes too - I poked around in the INDI qhy driver code but I find it difficult to understand where temperature control is exercised (is it in QHYCCD::updateTemperature()?). The last time I did any serious coding was before object oriented became a thing... :-)

I wonder is there is temperature control within the QHY driver and potentially within the INDI driver too? That might explain the strange fluctuations.

Regards,

jmh
4 years 2 months ago #47628

Basically, the Indi driver requests a temperature or a PWM value and the Qhy part tries to deliver... .
So Indi requests -20 and basically your camera firmware decides to go from 21% to 80%.
My older Qhy8l is much more subtle and would go from 21 to maybe 24%.
But one step later, yours is down to 23 again...
Yours could be faster to reach a new temperature target .....

Regards

Dirk
4 years 2 months ago #47630

I thought it might be interesting to try my QHY9S camera as I had problems with earlier driver versions. The behaviour is better in the sense that cools the camera more slowly than before, but there are still some instabilities that hang the camera. I attached logs - take a look and let me know what you think.

Regards,

jmh

File Attachment:

File Name: log2.zip
File Size:51 KB
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by fmozza.
4 years 2 months ago #47633
Attachments:

Can you point me to the instabilities, this looks rather similar to my qhy8l ...

Regards

Dirk
4 years 2 months ago #47640

Ok, here's where I am right now. I found a 1.3.0 image and made a fresh drive with it. Installed it, but with out any updates it would not recognize my miniCAM5. After running the update app it now recognizes my camera but has the same issues as 1.4.6. It will work in manual but AUTO sets the power to 1.18% and nothing ever happens from here. Can't set a target temperature so the camera is useless under StellarMate. Trying to work out something with my laptop so I can at least image if we ever get some clear weather. Camera works fine under ASCOM. Any help to fix StellarMate would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
4 years 2 months ago #47669

This is a QHYSDK issue. INDI driver on StellarMate simply asks the driver to sets the temperature. If you can turn on debug logging (check my signature for how), then attach the log here, then we can ask QHY to look into it.
4 years 2 months ago #47670

Thanks Jasem. The log file attached to message #47570 was done following your directions. Will it work for troubleshooting?

Regards,
Mike
4 years 2 months ago #47700

Ok we need to send a very concise report to QHY.

Problem: Describe the issue exactly.
Expected Result: what is the expected behavior.
Log: Attach log with the issue.
4 years 2 months ago #47720

Time to create page: 0.972 seconds