INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Taking dark flat and bias frames with a Pentax K5

• Thank you received: 5
Hello,
I tried using EKOS for taking darks and that worked fine except that (as was reported on this forum) EKOS adds 2s to the exposure time. This is not really an issue as for dark frames I use an exposure time of 30s or more.

For bias frames it is stated to use the lowest exposure the camera allows. When the camera is in Bulb mode I do not manage to control the camera with these low exposure times via EKOS. Nevertheless the messages printed on the console of EKOS show the right exposure time.

A year or more ago I started controlling the Pentax K5 with EKOS and remember that I was able to send settings to the camera via a command-line interface and gphoto2. So it is possible to control the camera via a PC. Therefore I wonder why EKOS is not able to better control exposure times.

Could someone give me a hint about how to take flat and bias frames? Is there documentation available, a video or some posts in which this is explained?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Stefan
4 years 3 months ago #47015

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IIRC, some cameras would allow you to take short exposures (e.g. 1/8000) while they are connected in manual mode (Canon 600D). This would be useful for bias. Other cameras do not expose the exposure list (i.e. 1/100, 1/200...etc) and so ONLY bulb manual exposure is available for the driver. Since this is based on software timers, it might not be able to take a very short bias exposure this way.

You can try to switch off FORCE BULB and see if that helps.
4 years 3 months ago #47061

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds