INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using a Webcam for PA in Ekos

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by MF on topic Using a Webcam for PA in Ekos

I have a Star Adventurer which has a built in Polar Scope. The problem is, I wear progressive spectacles and it is near impossible to see anything through the Polar Scope. And while I do shoot mostly wide field, I want to start shooting planets also.
3 years 10 months ago #54971

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
If you find the webcam is unable to expose long enough to get an image of the stars required for solving the PAA frames, you may consider adapting the webcam to view through the polar scope on your start adventure. That way you can see it on screen.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 10 months ago #54972

• Thank you received: 182

The star adventurer will not be suitable for shooting planets. The focal lengths you need for that make the scope so heavy, you will not be able to fit it on the star adventurer. Also, for planets exact polar alignment is even less critical, since you will take video of them and stack the images later. So the exposure times involved are so short, polar alignment is not even going to be a factor. That only comes into play to minimize the time until the planet drifts out of the FOV, For imaging planets with a OSC, I highly recommend Planetary Imager. Uncomplicated, user-friendly, great results. Also for time lapse of the sky.
3 years 10 months ago #54976

I will be using a camera with a 560mm Telephoto lens,and the overall weight is less than the payload capacity of the SA.
3 years 10 months ago #54998

• Thank you received: 182
560 mm focal length is not enough for planets. You need about 10x that to get a decent resolution. Also, PA is really not that critical for shooting planets. That can be done even with an Alt/Az mount. You should be able to polar align just fine with your regular camera and lens as long as the field is not too wide. I would guess anything above 150 mm for your camera should work just fine, as long as the FOV angle does not exceed 15 degrees.
3 years 10 months ago #55007

Ok got it
3 years 10 months ago #55146

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds