INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 70D Issue with capture

• Thank you received: 8
Hey there,

I've been trying to get my astrophotography setup to work with KStars/Ekos. I have a RPi running Astroberry and all the packages are up to date. I'm connecting remotely using the INDI web manager. I can get INDI to connect to my mount (EQ6-R Pro), gps dongle, even my Canon 70D. However, while trying to do an first light project I keep having issues with the capture of images.

I put my camera and the Canon INDI driver both to BULB and to have mirror lockup (things I've seen before on other threads, so thought I would do that first before posting here).

Last night I tried to do a test and it was a mixed success. I tried to do a test capture sequence of 10 images at 30 seconds at 800 ISO with a 2 second mirror lockup, but every odd image came out dark while the even pics were what I had expected. Using dcraw I found that the odd numbered pics had exposure time of 1/10 secs but the even ones had an exposure time of 30 secs as expected. After this I tried changing the mirror lockup to 5 seconds and did 4 shots and again every odd numbered pic was dark with 1/10 sec exposure while the even numbered ones had a 30 sec exposure. I can hear the mirror lockup doing what is expected, I also hear the camera trying to do a 30 sec exposure. I only realised this after pulling things down as this was more of an engineering night not a science night and the sky quickly filled with clouds and rain was coming within an hour. I don't even know where the 1/10s came from as I hadn't tried that through Ekos nor had my BULB setting or Tv/M had been on 1/10 (M was last on 1/25).

Today I tried to just use the camera attached to my RPi and nothing else but also use the remote connection from Ekos to the RPi. I also set the logging to debug in the hope that I could have noticed something in the logs. Sadly all my tests of different exposures and timings resulted in images having the correct EXIF, there were no 1/10 sec exposures. They all came out with 30 or 45 sec exposures based on my experiments. Even the logs didn't looking weird.

I'm not sure anyone can help but it would be nice to know if anyone else has experienced this with a DSLR (especially a Canon DSLR) and what is their work around.
3 years 9 months ago #56704

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds