INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Rapid Exposures and FITS File Write Time

• Thank you received: 1
Hi All,

I've been attempting to get an automated observatory up and running which would take images extremely quickly. I have been using a QHY 183M CMOS camera and have noticed that if I take a rapid sequence of exposures the vast majority of them will not be saved. I suspect that this is a file write speed issue but have been unable to verify this. I've attempted to save the FITS files to an external drive (HDD) thinking that the external drive would be able to dedicate all its write speed to the incoming FITS files but I did not notice increased performance.

Before I invest in getting an external SSD or some other more exotic solution, I was hoping someone on here may have some experience in this area. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
3 years 5 months ago #61133

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So there is rapid capture mode in INDI (but IIRC it was disabled) that would facilitate very fast exposures in sequence. As soon as the exposure is started, it continues to exposure and save the images. Have to dig further to enable it, but it's there.
3 years 5 months ago #61138

• Thank you received: 1
That sounds fantastic! Any idea where I should start digging? I looked through the QHY driver properties and could not find anything resembling a rapid capture mode.
3 years 5 months ago #61252

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds