INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI indi-sx-ccd driver and SX-26C camera problem

• Thank you received: 2
Hi all, I have had an SX26C camera for several years, but rarely used it. I tried it a couple of days ago, as I was hoping to use it with a new telescope and now use the INDI ecosystem, which works very well with my SX694/Ultrastar combo.

When I tried taking some short test frames using the INDI driver, the server recognised the camera (as an SXVR-M26) but the resulting FITS is a strange mess. I've attached a 2x2 binned version to save space but the 1x1 is very similar. The mount was guiding, even though the few stars are smeared, and the overall picture looks rather modernist - just not what I want! I've confirmed that the camera works under ASCOM and with a test program from Starlight Xpress. Terry Platt, the camera designer, suggests that the problem is that the M26C series has an unusual CCD structure, and so only a few imaging programs can decode it successfully.

Building a driver to read it is probably beyond my coding skills, but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? I realise that the SX26 is a rare beast and not easy to use - hence why mine has lived on the shelf. It may be that trying to use it under INDI is a non starter but I'm willing to have a go to see if I can get something from my initial investment.

Regards
Tim
3 years 2 months ago #65181

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

as further info, I've duplicated the problem with another laptop, Both are running v1.1.13 of the indi-sx-ccd driver. Interestingly, the Y Pixel Size is reported incorrectly as 3.02 microns, not 6.04 as the X Pixel Size is, but the other parameters seem OK.

Regards
Tim
3 years 2 months ago #65182

Hello Tim,

Can you attach or link to the image? I don't see it.
3 years 2 months ago #65184

Hi, Jasem, sorry, I thought I had managed to attach it!. I've tried again!

File Attachment:

File Name: Light_017.zip
File Size:3,341 KB

Kind regards

Tim
3 years 2 months ago #65185
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 140
I had this same issue on the M25c a couple of years ago, Jasem will remember. And it was solved after much work, so now works perfectly in the latest INdI and I use on ekos all the time.... :)
3 years 2 months ago #65186

That is messed up. Can you enable CCD logging and capture again with the logs on and attach the logs?
3 years 2 months ago #65188

Sorry for the delay - I though I had replied earlier but must have made a mistake...

Here is the log file.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-19-03.txt
File Size:84 KB

I set up Ekos with just the SX-26C camera, then opened it, set the temperature, took two pictures; one at 1x1 binning and 1 sec exposure, and one at 2x2 binning and 0.25 sec exposure. The target is a bookcase! I can't attach the 1x1 fits, as the size is too large, but I have attached the 2x2 and a jpg of the 1x1.

File Attachment:

File Name: Light_009.zip
File Size:5,724 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Light_010.zip
File Size:2,760 KB

The artifacts on the 1x1 are interesting. The image is skewed and mirrored vertically, as well as the left hand side being doubled up. I looked at the original star image, and found that the stars seemed ok vertically, but were stretched horizontally; a 4 px tall star was stretched to 8 px, then had blank columns inserted to make it 16 px wide. I've included a cropped image.

I'm not sure what all of this means, but hopefully it may give some clues.

kind regards

Tim
3 years 2 months ago #65234
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 40
Terry Platt from Starlight Xpress Ltd kindly sent us this source code that he used when developing the M26C. It was written for a PowerBasic compiler.
I hope it helps in adding support for the M26C to the indi_sx_ccd driver.

File Attachment:

File Name: Decoding_t...sue2.txt
File Size:10 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Reading_the_M26C.txt
File Size:3 KB

-- Hans
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, AstroNerd
3 years 2 months ago #65260
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 140
Watching this thread with interested, I have the SXVR M25c and a few years ago that also had similar issues with the driver and weird images, this was sorted by one of the Indigo authors, Peter Polakovic I think his name is, he was very helpful indeed....so maybe ask him,
The other option is to use the indigo server with ekos, it works just the same and the camera will work with that driver...
I am looking at buying an M26c as I want the smaller pixels...will work better with my scope... :)
3 years 2 months ago #65973

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds