INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

kstars crashes when downloading an image captured with DSLR

I just received a couple of frames from a QHY600 camera so these would act as a very good testing case. Hopefully this would result in an improved system and less memory consumption.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 2 months ago #66162

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I have added my 2 preview files to Dropbox so you can see them as well.

www.dropbox.com/sh/iwqppyiiy72jh8a/AADov...rbgsdAJMBRAOtha?dl=0

I'll add that I'm running this on a RPi 4 with 4GB Ram as well. I've also tried Disabling both the FITS Viewer & the DSLR Image Viewer and the crash still happens at the same point.

If I change the FORMAT in the Capture Module to NATIVE - it works fine - even with the Viewers still enabled. This is only an issue if the Capture Format is set to FITS. So I have a temporary workaround in my case, but I'd love to be able to capture in FITS instead. :)

Thanks for the replies already & for the work to review the issue!
Christopher Miller

WO GT71 / ZWO 183MC Pro / ZWO EAF / WO Uniguide 50mm / ZWO 290MM Mini / EQ6-R Pro
Meade 8" LX90 / ZWO 224MC / RigelSystems wifi-nFocus / ZWO OAG / ZWO 290MM Mini / Meade EQWedge
AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm Lens / Nikon Z6 / ZWO 30F4 MiniScope / ZWO 120mm Mini / Star Adventurer 2i
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Christopher Miller.
3 years 2 months ago #66179

• Thank you received: 11
Good to know you have a work around there and interesting note on this being FITS file related. The rest of us a still stuck with FITS being the format we have to use.
3 years 2 months ago #66206

Well - I had a work around but was still having frequent crashes. Now even my work around no longer works. kStars crashes anytime I try to capture an image - whether FITS or RAW. Before this started, I was noticing that anytime I disconnected & stopped the profile - it would crash. I've tried restoring to factory default, purging the Nikon config, rebuilding my gear profile - none of which work. I have been running on the latest stable release and usually check daily for updates. I have another SM instance that I use with ZWO cameras and a different set-up and it works great. This seems tied directly to my Nikon Z6 from the best I can tell. I have also noticed that it doesn't always want to go in to Connect to PC mode when I connect it to my raspberry Pi. As an aside - I also updated to a RPi 4 8gb hoping that would help - but no luck......
Christopher Miller

WO GT71 / ZWO 183MC Pro / ZWO EAF / WO Uniguide 50mm / ZWO 290MM Mini / EQ6-R Pro
Meade 8" LX90 / ZWO 224MC / RigelSystems wifi-nFocus / ZWO OAG / ZWO 290MM Mini / Meade EQWedge
AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm Lens / Nikon Z6 / ZWO 30F4 MiniScope / ZWO 120mm Mini / Star Adventurer 2i
3 years 1 month ago #66934

• Thank you received: 6

I am using a Fuji X-T3 and have had no luck in attempting to save in FITS mode. When I save in NATIVE (the Fuji RAF file) I have no issues saving to the Pi (very quick), or to the laptop (really slow). I, perhaps naively, assumed FITS wouldn't work as the camera does not support FITS. My FITS conversion is handled by Siril when preprocessing the images later.

Random Kstar/Ekos crashes happen and I've not really noticed a solid pattern yet. It always seems to come up again fine.
3 years 1 month ago #66937

Here's a little more info on this. From the Focus Module - I can successfully capture a preview, loop frames, and activate Liveview for my Nikon Z6 without incident. However when I go to the Capture module and try to loop frames or capture a preview kstars crashes. It's not random for me but every single time right now. If anyone has ideas - I'm open to suggestions. thanks in advance!
Christopher Miller

3 years 1 month ago #66961

• Thank you received: 69
Sorry I can't add more useful suggestions, but...

I use a Nikon Z7 (full frame 8256 x 5504 pixels) on an Odroid-N2 with 4 G RAM. It seems to me over a year or so, the only way I can reliably capture images is to turn on the "Limited Resources" mode. Having done that I can still view and zoom into images with the Fits Viewer. Each fits file captured is 90.9 M. My previous experience would suggest that Debayering would certainly kill it eventually.The camera of course, is in Manual mode and I'm saving in Fits format.

About 2 weeks ago, I believe I naively let a system update run that trashed my 20.04 Ubuntu Mate. No USB devices were recognized, even the Samsung T5 SSD. So I re-imaged the computer (see My notes )

So now I'm on Release 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa) 64-bit, Kernel Linux 4.9.241-109 aarch64, MATE 1.24.0, but haven't had any clear weather to test the new installation yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher Miller
3 years 1 month ago #66971

Thanks for the info! I tried the Limited Resources mode just now that you mention and sadly I'm still getting the crashes. Bu t I appreciate the time and suggestion. I figure eventually I'll hit the right setting that stabilizes things for me. At least I hope. :)
Christopher Miller

3 years 1 month ago #66975

Is it crashing with the Nightly PPA?
3 years 1 month ago #66995

Hi Jasem - please forgive my ignorance. The nightly PPA? I am on the stable release channel on my Stellarmate install right now. I can change any settings that would be helpful. I'm also open to a Remote Desktop if you have availability and if that would aid in troubleshooting. Thanks!
Christopher Miller

3 years 1 month ago #66996

Can you switch to beta channel and see if that makes a difference?
3 years 1 month ago #66998

OK - I switched to Beta channel and installed updates. kStars won't launch now from the desktop shortcut. kStars, PHD2, and Image Viewer all have "invalid desktop entry file" messages. Also when I go to Control Panel - it says connection lost & fetching and never loads data. I've tried a few reboots. Do I need to re-image and start fresh?
Christopher Miller

3 years 1 month ago #67002

Time to create page: 1.031 seconds