INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

V4L2_CCD setting & SPC900NC

• Thank you received: 1
After a first successful test guiding my setup with an Orion 80x400 and the Phillips SPC900 (non modified), I wanted to try real guiding, not just test and shooting of objects in the sky.
Unfortunately I have tried many different settings but never managed to find a guiding star in the area I was shooting whatsoever!

I have tried fiddling with the V4L2 settings, to make it more sensitive by:
* decreasing fps to 5/s
* raising gain & exposure
* playing with contrast and autogain

Nothing worked... and I just ended up wasting a night :huh:

I'm wondering if I'm missing something, is there any settings or magic trick that's known to work and make the SPC900 sensitive enough for guiding in most areas of the sky?

I suspect that webcam is just not sensitive enough and I would need to mod it. So I have searched for ways to do that but what I found is very partial, talk about different cameras, or is full of broken links...
In particular I'm interested in the LXLED mod as it allows minimal modification and avoids having more cables.

Anyone knows where to find proper doc on how to complete this mod? The software part is already OK as I "ported" the pwc driver patch from @geehalel to the kernel I'm using (4.19) and the LED flashes according to the settings sent using the INDI driver!

Also, everytime the INDI client first connect to the INDI server, the V4L2_CCD driver connects to /dev/video0, while my cam is /dev/video2. So I have to manually disconnect, change the char device manually, reconnect and set the various properties I want... That's rather tedious. Is there a way to have those presets saved somewhere so my client knows which device to use , with which config at connect time?
3 years 3 months ago #66395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds