INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Long downloading phasis after each exposure even on a full local setup

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I run Indi+Kstar/Ekos on Stellarmate within a RPI. I run everything locally on the RPI itself, I dont use a remote client. I use a Canon DSLR for shooting.

After each exposure in a sequence, there is a "Download" phasis that takes a while (15 / 20 sec). Such amount of time seems odd: are the data transfered via network altough all is supposed to be local?!?

When I go on Indi control pannel for my DSLR and check "Upload local" instead of "Upload client" in Option tab, the picture is saved directly on the local directory defined in "Upload settings / Dir". It takes much, much less time: only a few seconds (like 5) !! But Ekos doesn't display the picture. However I prefer that because 10 seconds more on each expesure can result in a significative amount of additional intgration time at the end of night..

But there is a problem: when I check this "Upload local" in Indi Control Panl the setting is automatically set back to "Upload client" when the next exposure begins... So I cannot set it permanently.

Is there a stable way to make this "Download" step last only 5 seconds instead of 15/20 ??

Thanks!
3 years 1 week ago #68319

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How large is the sensor? On 600D, it takes 3-4 secs locally (on client mode). Does it make a different if you uncheck FITS Viewer (Tools --> Configure KStars --> FITS)
3 years 1 week ago #68330

> How large is the sensor?

Its a 650D, I guess same size than 600D. I will try with "Fits viewer" unchecked.

Last night it did it again but with a (little) less time than than the other day: more 16/17 secondes than 20 secondes as the other night. These variation let me think of a network variation... That's why I wonder if in client mode the data transit via network (thus, dependant on network perf) even when all is in local. Is it possible? BTW I checked my setup profile configuration in Ekos: it is indeed in "local" mode.
3 years 1 week ago #68332

> Does it make a different if you uncheck FITS Viewer (Tools --> Configure KStars --> FITS)

Just tried: no, it only makes that FITS viewer doesn't open after Downloading process, but the process still lasts 16/17 sec tonight.
3 years 1 week ago #68354

• Thank you received: 1
I own a 600d and save all the files locally on the Pi.

17 seconds is my time too, but i dither although. We are limited to a USB2 Port while using such an old camera.

A friend of mine did a test with an usb3 camera (some Sony) and it was faster (3-5 seconds).

I'm okay with that time. I do 300 seconds exposures and dithering. That are 11 pictures per hour. And i don't need to take dark frames... take that in count for the whole session.
3 years 1 week ago #68429

Thanks! Okay maybe... However I'm not sure this delay comes from the link between camera and Pi, as if I go on Indi control pannel of DSLR and check "Upload local" instead of "Upload client" it takes much less time (about 5 secondes). But this setting is always overwritten by Ekos for the next picture.

It is indeed not a problem when I shoot on my "big" setup (APO+AZEQ6), on which I autoguide and take long exposures + dithering after each frame. But it becomes a problem with my light/portable setup (lense+SA), on which I dont autoguide, dont dither, and take short exposures (1 minute / 1 minute and half max).
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Lucar Rave.
3 years 1 week ago #68432

• Thank you received: 1
Wouldn't it be better to use MagicLantern or an external shutter release to take long exposures while using the SA?

I tried using Stellarmate myself while using my sold SA, but it is only usable while guiding and maybe to polar align proberly.

I usually get pinpoint stars around 1 minute with 180mm focal length when i do manually align the SA. But i have to take dark frames each session.

CS

Ralph
3 years 1 week ago #68434

Well, I like to be able to control my picture directly from my living room PC via a TeamViewer connection on my RPI/Stellarmate :-) On my light setup with SA I use the RPI and Ekos/KStar only for that, plus the target pointing using astrometry to manually approach my target and framing. I also tried the polar alignement tool but it didn't goes very well so I prefer to polar align visually.

But when I will use it on travel I will definitivly not use my RPI at all, only an intervallometer or the SNAP port of SA.
3 years 1 week ago #68440

Time to create page: 0.643 seconds