INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI can't start ZWO 294 - unable to establish . . .

• Thank you received: 1
i'm trying to get my setup working on my Linux Mint 20.1 laptop and Indi can't start my ZWO ASI294mc. I get the following message: KStars Unable to establish: + ZWO CCD Please ensure the device is connected and powered on. 

-Yes it is connected, and it has the DC power on.

it works fine with the ASI Studio on this same machine.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_00-18-05.txt
File Size:34 KB
I have tried with and without the powered USB3 hub, and all different usb ports on the laptop, but can't it to start up with EKOS/INDI. I also tried it with only the camera and nothing else but no difference.

KSTARS 3.5.3 beta

Cinnamon Version 4.8.6
Linux Kernel 5.4.0-66generic
running the nightly PPA build.
3 years 1 month ago #68669
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
I am not having any problems with my ASI294MC connecting. Although i am using a RPi4 with Ubuntu 20.1.
I would advise that initially the nightly builds are not a great starting point. They are there for testing mainly and can generate instabilities in unexpected ways. I would remove the nightly ppa and revert to stable build 3.5.2 and see if you still have a problem.

Cheers

Mike
3 years 1 month ago #68673

• Thank you received: 420
On Saturday night KStars nightly crashed several times when Ekos was starting and trying to connect to my ASI6200MM. I didn’t want to waste a clear night so I reverted to the stable release and everything started working fine again.

Wouter
3 years 1 month ago #68688

Thanks for the update. I'll go back to the non nightly and see if that works. I had to try this because an update messed up my guiding with the CGEM. I got the latest driver, but now ZWO CCDS seem to be hurting from the nightly. -or my combo . . .

Maybe it's just my bad beginners luck with INDI . . . I'm just trying to find the most stable working setup for me with my Celestron CGEM, and ZWO ASI 294 and my ASI120mm mini guider.

I'm trying Astroberry, Stellarmate, and now laptop Linux Mint. So far Astroberry seems the most stable to remote into (have everything run locally), but the latest INDI update with the Celestron 3.5 driver messed up the guiding. That's been fixed, so that's why I was trying the nightly builds.

I guess it's a good time to Hypertune my mount!
3 years 1 month ago #68703

• Thank you received: 33
My 294MC pro is getting the same message with the nightly.  I've been running the stable version the last week or so.
3 years 1 month ago #68710

• Thank you received: 182
I had this problem yesterday with the ASI1600MM-Pro. Only my ASI120MM-S was recognized.

I solved the problem by recompiling the drivers and then starting the camera driver from the device manager. It still would not recognize the ASI1600, but after restarting the Pi4 both cameras came up fine and imaged reliably throughout the night.

Although I am not sure why, the restart fixed the problem. It must have been driver related, since I have several older installations on the same computer which had worked fine before and none of them recognized the ASI1600. After restart, all of them did, including the nightly build and the most recent freshly compiled build.
3 years 1 month ago #68713

Occasionally you can get access to new and very useful functionality in the nightlies. A good example was the multistar guiding. I changed to a nightly build to get that but as soon as I had it and found that everything else worked I locked it in by removing the ppas for stable and nightly (kstars) just keeping the other updates going.

As a beginner you should stick to stable releases until you are ready to get involved in testing etc. Even then always have a stable working build to fall back to if you run into trouble.

I have a working Astroberry image that is very reliable on an SSD for my RPi but since Ubuntu Mate 20.1 came out I have found this very good and have no problems with my locked in nightly. Occasionally I will try the nightly but I do it on a SD card as a testing platform so that it does not interfere with imaging opportunities which are currently very rare on the Queensland Coast! :)

Lots of people here will help you out if you find the stable build is of no help. Here is a link to rolling back to stable just in case you need it.
www.indilib.org/download.html
Just copy this into terminal
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly

Mike
3 years 1 month ago #68714

• Thank you received: 42
After updating to the latest stable release I had difficulty with the ASI cameras.
After two weeks both cameras are connecting at the moment, but I need to find more consistency.

Simplifying can help, I ran with an Ekos profile using just the telescope simulator and a single camera.

Many of my failure runs seem to have been due to prior errors. I connect through hubs and have to
remove and reconnect power to them between Ekos/driver sessions. I have not gone back to without hubs
to see if it really the disconnecting of the camera that is impacting results.

Running the /usr/bin/asi_camera_test can provide a clue where to look for the problem. I think it is provided
by the install and uses the same library code.

There was a period where the camera was connecting but not fully and I mistook those as failures to connect.
Presently it takes a minute or so for the connection to become apparent. Then after another minute or
two the indi screen finally puts up the Control tab.

It might be worth examining the ~/.indi/'ZWO CCD ASI294mc_config.xml' file to see if all the name and settings
appear correct. A new guide camera was introduced and the xml file contained a mix of camera types. Probably
something I caused unknowingly.

The last time of trying to use the imaging camera an exposure would count down to 0 and then restart the exposure again without producing an image. This is an old problem, seems like a year or so since last seen. I note the ASI rules.d file has been replaced.
3 years 1 month ago #68723

Hi All,

I tried two set ups a couple of days ago in the field using ASI cameras (ASI1600 MM pro with ASI120MM guiding on Astro-Physics mount and another using a different RPi with NEQpro EQMOd ASI294MCpro and ASI120MM guider) both were using a locked in nightly build from about 2-3 weeks ago and both set ups performed perfectly. I will try to find out the details of the nightly that I am using. I have not updated since.
I will try to find the details of that build and post it.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamie
3 years 1 month ago #68725

How do you lock in a nightly? Do you just remove the PPA, or just don't upgrade?
3 years 1 month ago #68727

Hi,

Write this into a terminal as per my post above

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly

and it will remove the ppa for any nightly build. When you then update and upgrade using software updater you will revert to the stable build.
If it is all working OK go into the software updates gui and remove the ppa for the stable builds by unticking the boxes that contain the mutlaqja ppa then you can still update your other software using apt-get or the software updater but KStars will not update.
However if there are some issues with the stable build as per the above posts you may have to wait until these are resolved in the nightlies and then update to the one that works and lock it in by removing the nightly and stable ppas.
These driver issues that crop up in the nightlies are usually fixed fairly quickly so if you are still getting problems keep an eye on the forum and try another nightly as that is where any fix will be pushed through.

My working build is Version 3.5.3. beta
Build- 2021-03-12 T01:13:57Z

Hope that this helps

Mike
3 years 1 month ago #68728

Cool, reverted back to stable 3.5.2
Build: 2021-03-01T11:47:36Z

All devices are found and run!

This version still has Celestron driver 3.5, but I need 3.6 to fix the pulse guiding rate but at least I can guide ST4 and know how to get back, and do testing now.

Thanks so much everyone!
3 years 1 month ago #68735

Time to create page: 0.803 seconds