INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI usb3 camera retries 3 times on exposure and fails - git builds

• Thank you received: 133
 Ah, it's in 99-indi_auxiliary.rules now.  Was wondering, too.  But I had checked that the setting was at 256, so that was/is not the issue.
But if things work with the previous SDK and not with the latest, it's either a bug in the SDK, or some change in the API (or responses) the is not reflected by the INDI code.  The SDK changelog however is not very helpful, just referring to 'bug fixes' :(

2 years 11 months ago #69951

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Addendum: I had not checked the syslog so far. It actually says
Apr 12 11:27:52 woodstock.pitnet kernel: usb 2-1: Process 28984 (indi_asi_ccd) called USBDEVFS_CLEAR_HALT for active endpoint 0x81
Apr 12 11:27:53 woodstock.pitnet kernel: indi_asi_ccd[28976]: segfault at 35 ip 00007fb5551d4646 sp 00007fb53e442b90 error 4 in libusb-1.0.so.0.3.0[7fb5551ca000+e000]

(I also noticed that the new udev rules no longer contain the chmod to 0666 for ASI devives; but it also crashes when run as root....)
2 years 11 months ago #69952

• Thank you received: 4
Running ASI1600mm, ASI120mm mini, EFW, EAF, building from git on RPI4. No issues (anymore).

I did have an issue with the ASI1600mm where it would fail to capture, and the image from the ASI120mm would occationally pop up in the preview instead.
Deleted xml-files from .indi, and set everything up from scratch again. After deleting the xml-files, I saw that the ekos driver setting for both ASI120mm and ASI1600mm were both set to main scope. I set ASI120mm to guide scope, and everything were working again. Not in front of kstars at the moment, so tick boxes could have different names.
2 years 11 months ago #69954

• Thank you received: 165
Yup, SDK regression isn't out of the question, though it seems to be either camera or architecture specific as my ASI120MM-S with ARMv7 and 178MC with x64 I test with both work fine. API hasn't changed, at least the header files were identical when I updated the SDK and they usually haven't changed existing things, just added new ones.
2 years 11 months ago #69972

• Thank you received: 17
In the latest SDK, the problem with damaged frames during long exposure is fixed.
Probably it required more library modification and maybe something got corrupted.
I still offer cooperation for ZWO, unfortunately without success.
2 years 11 months ago #69990

Just for confirmation:
With latest, you refer to 1.17, yes? So that one fixes the original issue in this thread, but causes crashes for some?
2 years 11 months ago #69991

• Thank you received: 17
Yes, I mean 1.17.
I am not getting detailed information from ZWO, I am trying to establish cooperation with them. I am working on the libASICamera2Boost library. Unfortunately, each camera has a different implementation and it's hard for me to keep developing without the original library source.

In original library (1.17), there are probably larger double buffers used for communication with the camera.
The usbfs_memory_mb value should be at least '6 x Resolution'. For now, these are guesses, I need to analyze the library more.
Anyway, to rule out a memory problem, I suggest temporarily increasing the usbfs_memory_mb value and testing indi with different ZWO libraries.
For example:
sudo sh -c 'echo 512 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb'
# test for biggest camera
# sudo sh -c 'echo 1024 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb'

# Test different versions of the ZWO library.
LD_PRELOAD=/path_to_library/libASICamera2.so.1.16 indiserver indi_asi_ccd
LD_PRELOAD=/path_to_library/libASICamera2.so.1.17 indiserver indi_asi_ccd
2 years 11 months ago #69992

• Thank you received: 182
The image buffer is not the only thing that is broken.

Yesterday I used an installation from March 17 that had worked perfectly last month after I manually increased the usbfs memory in the asi.rules file. Unfortunately, I had not turned off unattended-upgrades for the Pi (running Ubuntu 20.04) and after that had completed, the indi server crashed every time I called it up. It would crash even when just starting the Moonlite driver for my focuser, so unrelated to the ZWO issue.

With the system already broken, I figured upgrading everything from the nightly repo might help. It did, indi server no longer crashed after that, but now my ZWO-EFW was missing again! Moving my old asi.rules and efw.rules files back into the /etc/udev/rules.d folder did not fix it this time.

Is there a solution on the horizon for this, or is the only practical solution right now to go back to the stable version from March 1?

Jo
2 years 11 months ago #69999

Hi Jo,

In my experience it is enough to keep the current nightly/devel of indi, and only downgrade the version of libasi. Haven't yet tested my filter wheel, though - will do later today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
2 years 11 months ago #70000

256MB should be enough for the ASI183MC, no?  Nevertheless, I tried with both 512 and 1024, no change there.  Crashes with both.  It does take a while though:  The image is downloaded and displayed, and only some 3s later I get the crash message which states
Child process 14326 died
2021-04-13T13:52:57: Driver indi_asi_ccd: stderr EOF

2 years 11 months ago #70001

• Thank you received: 10
This may be interesting too:

Compiled from git two days ago (sdk 1.17) Opensuse Tumbleweed, ASI1600mm-pro

Picture size:   4656 x 3522       driver-crash      Edit: 4656 x 3520
Picture size:   3880 x 3520       driver-crash
Picture size:   3879 x 3520       no crash!

So, reduzing the picture size a bit let the crash dissapeare

Edgar
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Edgar Scholz. Reason: Type mismatch
2 years 11 months ago #70012

• Thank you received: 182
Did you go back to a larger picture size again and ascertain that the crash still occurred?

Maybe the first instance was not surprising, the sensor of the ASI1600 measures only 4656 x 3520 pixels, so you added an extra 9312 pixels that are not addressed.
2 years 11 months ago #70024

Time to create page: 1.233 seconds