INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dual Camera driver issue for QHY - confused state of camera

• Thank you received: 19
This is an odd one and a bit random (nothing to do with actually shooting through two cameras) - I have QHY183 and QHY294 - Both are recognized and operate but recently (INDI 1.8.9) on connection of all the devices, one or both of the cameras are being reported by INDI to be in streaming mode and you cannot take a regular test image due to an error in the INDI control panel:
1) both cameras connect - using the same driver - and both have normal configuration files properly populated
2) all settings in control panel indicated normal setup and NOT that the camera(s) is streaming
3) logs indicated no issue except the "cannot capture while the camera is currently streaming" error
4) if you try to capture a simple preview in the main camera window you see "aborted" and to see the INDI control panel
5) disconnect devices and restart in the EKOS window (play the profile) can correct the problem

Since it takes a restart of the INDI server I suspect this is some race condition and on the second or third try to load the driver the correct state of the camera(s) is obtained - once they can both take a preview all is good.  It is also somewhat random...there have been many cases where both cameras are fine on initial run.  I have also tried doing a manual connect for each device but still get the same issue.
If there any known issues with two cameras form same manufacturer perhaps?....
Thanks in advance  
2 years 11 months ago #71046

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone able to help on this? - it is making things almost unusable - I went o github to see if I could debug the driver but where there used to be all the CCD drivers there is now only the simulator....am I missing something....This issue appear to happen more with my QHY294 than the QHY183 - after a random number of disconnect all devices then restart the profile I will get lucky and both cameras will take an image -
2 years 11 months ago #71292

Jasem, or anyone else - In qhy_ccd.cpp the following is being executed when neither are true - this makes me suspect that in streammanger there is a bug in isBusy() (a false positive) - I assume that the sdk layer is reporting correctly that HasStreaming is TRUE

if (HasStreaming() && Streamer->isBusy())
{
LOG_ERROR("Cannot take exposure while streaming/recording is active.");
return false;
}
Indi Control Panel consistently reports that streaming and recording is OFF and there is no streaming window open, so somehow Streamer->isBusy() must be returning TRUE randomly on system initialization (as above start the profile, when teh two cameras connect use indi control panel to execute the 1 second default exposure via the set button on main tab - result can be either both cameras hit this error, one or sometimes neither in whihc case all is OK to go for normal operation - I am currently getting on 1 out of 5 starts that are GOOD!!!!!)
A simple comment out of the return above (since I KNOW I am not streaming) has me working - this is a kludge but proves my point :-)
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by JAMIE FLINN.
2 years 11 months ago #71308

There is a similar issue here: github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/issues/401

will check if related.
2 years 11 months ago #71311

• Thank you received: 2
Similar issue here with my QHY174GPS (single camera): after the first recording of a stream the warning "Recording device is busy" appears and no further image or stream acquisitions are possible. The behaviour is fully consistent.

Note: in oder to get the camera alive again connect/disconnect of Ekos, or stop/start the driver from INDI web manager, with camera power off/on in between had no effects. Only rebooting the rasp Pi worked.

From the log window:

2021-12-09T08:27:02: [WARNING] Recording device is busy.
2021-12-09T08:26:43: [INFO] Starting video streaming with exposure 0 seconds (50 FPS), w=1920 h=1200
2021-12-09T08:26:37: [INFO] Recording stream has been disabled. Closing the stream...
2021-12-09T08:25:52: [WARNING] Recording device is busy.
2021-12-09T08:25:40: [INFO] Waiting for all buffered frames to be recorded
2021-12-09T08:25:36: [INFO] Starting video streaming with exposure 0 seconds (50 FPS), w=1920 h=1200
2021-12-09T08:25:36: [INFO] Record file is /home/pi/capture/indi_2021-12-09/indi_record_2021-12-09@08-25-36.ser
2021-12-09T08:25:36: [INFO] Starting video record (Duration): 1 secs.
2 years 4 months ago #78469

Time to create page: 0.678 seconds